• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

look for some specific brake pads

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
a few years back, i was replacing the brakes on my wifes jeep and bought some drilled and slotted rotors and a set of BLUE TITANIUM PADS from JC whitney.

as far as stock replacement, those were the best pads and rotors i've ever ran. but i can not find those pads anymore to save my life.

anybody know of anything that sounds like it might be the same or similar???

or have any other recommendations as far as top quality stock replacement??? i think those pads were like $50-80 and were the best set of pads i've ever used.

and yeah yeah yeah i know about the WJ front steering and brake upgrade. it's on the to-do list. but that's not my question right now.

I run Power Slot rotors up front with Hawk Performance Pads. I like them.. I'm not really a big fan for cross drilled due to them being prone to crack..

"Designed for the performance enthusiast who wants the “look” of a cross drilled brake rotor without the inherent cracking problems, Power Slot’s Pro Stop rotors give you the best of both worlds. Pro Stop rotors are machined with our
highly effective Vac-U-Slot design and enhanced with a series of “dimples” that look like drilled holes. As the brake pad contacts the rotor, the dimples turn black, simulating the cross-drilled look."
So, basically you are sacrificing braking ability to look cool....probly not the best of ideas. I was here once, I looked into the crossdrilled rotors and "cool" racing pads. All they are meant to do is look cool, nothing more. And all they really do is make it harder for you to stop. Get OEM replacements, or upgrade the calipers.

98XJSport said:

that kinda looks like them, but i don't remember them being anywhere near that cheap. i'll have to look into that a little more.

i don't know about your experience, but when i ran the drilled and slotted rotors with the titanium pads, i had the cleanest working and longest lasting brakes ever. ran them for about 3 years and never once had a problem with them. i cleaned the brakes regularly and never had any problems with warped rotors, rapidly wearing pads, squeaks or other annoying noises. i loved em. best brakes i ever ran.

Alademuerte said:
I run Power Slot rotors up front with Hawk Performance Pads. I like them.. I'm not really a big fan for cross drilled due to them being prone to crack..
X2 I run the same setup.

It even says it in the product description and warning, "to help maintain the highest possible co-efficient of friction for the brake pads to work against." They have improved on the design to make it less pointless but you are still at a disadvantage because you have removed part of the pad-rotor contact surface thereby decreasing the amount of friction that can be generated by the contact of the pad on the rotor. Why? Sure I guess it would work ok, but why sacrifice anything for looks, esp. in a safety system on a Jeep that doesn't look like it belongs on a racetrack?

"By installing Pro-Series II rotors, a driver can have the "look" of a cross-drilled rotor and the performance of a slotted rotor without compromising the structural integrity of the rotor. Pro-Series II rotors with their faux-drilled dimple treatment are specifically designed to provide a safer alternative to drilling crack prone holes through cast iron rotors and offer a more aggressive appearance than the original Pro-Series rotors.
Power Slot's slotting process and faux-drilled treatment removes less heat absorbing mass and less of the rotor's surface area than conventional cross drilling to help maintain the highest possible co-efficient of friction for the brake pads to work against.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.
While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable."

Sloted rotors are the best. They improve performance. They help remove heat, and channel pad material and gas off the rotor surface. That keeps the pad clean and friction high. Drilled rotors do the same but they are prone to cracking in high stress situations. And dimpled rotors just remove material in the fire path. And yes go with some hawk pads.

assuming the laws of physics still apply here, please explain how removing material and reducing the contact surface, in a system which works by relying on material to material contact to function, improves how the system works? Is venting gasses a priority for the every day driver? Also, I bought a set of Hawk brake pads but never installed them, I heard from some professionals that their performance was poor, and even worse in conjunction with slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors. I would be curious to hear from anyone else who has tested them.

If you do any amount of off road driving stay away from the drilled rotors. Debris like sand, stones and mud can get in the holes and cause damage to the system quickly.slotted rotors are a little better but they too will let sand and mud in there. An upgraded brake system would be best.

Think of brakes like street tires. The most effective brake (most friction) would be a drag radial. Most possible contact area with the surfaces. Harder compounds mean less stick to that surface, but longer life. However, what kills traction with a DR? Fluid, which cannot flow out from the center of the tire, because there is no grooving. Hydroplaning of the tire is obvious loss of traction. For brakes, it's heat/gasses. Add slots or holes, and it will vent, just like a tire will force the water out the grooving and give you traction.

A brake setup generates heat and gasses, but for it to be enough to cause loss of braking you would probably need to be running auto-x or rally courses. So if your application doesn't require you to ever drive in the rain, your sports car would have drag radials (or as close as possible) for best traction. And if you never drive your vehicle to the excess that would build up gasses and high heat, you would do the same for brakes, right?

I use hawk pads ( the back race pads ) on my cobra with slotted rotors and they work very well. I have also used the truck pads on an f150 and they were also very good with no brake fade. And yes the slotted rotors would help even on a dd. They keep the pads clean and aid in venting heat. As for offroad I would have to agree that they would pick up alot of dirt but I dont have any experience with that.

Back