• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joint Replacement Help

akennedy99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,
I am doing my u-joints today and had a question. I have done lots of searching and have seen many write ups but I am looking for a specific one I saw months ago.

I am looking for the write up where the person does the turning the steering wheel method to pop off the hubs. If anyone can find this it would be greatly appreciated. I know it is a last resort method but I want to know it just incase.

I know you are supossed to use a deep socket and turn the steering wheel so it hits the C of the axleshaft. I know you are not supossed to use the brakes as it will shoot off the front caliper pistons. Are you supossed to have the car's power on so the power steering is working well? Or will that prime the brakes and shoot off the caliper as well?

Also, what bolt are you supossed to have the deep socket on for hte best results?

This would be greatly appreciated so I do not get stuck doing this.

Thanks,
Alex

I got a 9 in 3 jaw puller and put the jaws on the hub and put the center in the end of the axle and the hub just popped off after I unbolted everything.

I always use a 20 ounce hammer. Two to three swings and the hubs come off.. even ones that have been rusted on for 15 years, if you learn the right swing.

Yea I got a 99, but I live in New England... sooooo it is probably pretty rusty.

I really don't feel like seperating hubs so this may be the best way becuase to use the 3 jaw puller you must remove the hubs correct?

Although there is a Harbor Freight in the town next to me and there is a sale on the electric impact wrench and the u-joint press. I have not decided what way I want to do it yet.

Opinions?

I've seen people seperate the two halves of the bearing with a puller..

Just doesnt seem like the way to go. More work, more risk of trouble.

I got tired of trying to beat the hub and and grabbed the puller. It worked really easily. I did both sides this way without any problems. Mines an 88 and i live in PA so you know its rusty.

jeeperjohn said:
You could buy some similar bolts to use to beat on but if you're carefull you shouldn't damage them. Just use a block of wood between the bolthead and hammer.
I just left the socket on there and it worked fine, and im up in new england as well.

Mine pulled straight off. I dont know how it would go crooked. There is a divit in the end of the axle that the point of the three jaw puller goes in and keeps it straight.

you could also use a dead blow on the unit bearings to get them off. hit it side to side then up and down. it should just walk out. after you get it off, clean it up and put some anti-seeze on the inside of the knuckle mounting surface. it will make removal of them a whole lot easier in the future.

mike

jeeperjohn said:
I suggest backing the 3 hub bolts out about 1/2" and use a hammer to beat the boltheads to move the hub out.

i second that. just back the bolts out, put a nice sledge to the face of it and it'll come right off. (u can kinda tell if your about to ruin the bolt heads or not). i actually just smack the hub itself. downward swings then sidewayz then maybe some hits to the bottom.

Ok well the hub/shaft came out real easy.

U-joints will not budge. I've tried various sockets and size vises. I've tried blows to the base of the ear. i tried to use the 2/3 jaw puller around it. NOTHING.

I pulled the c-clips, but everything is just so rusted.

There is soooo much play in the joints so I am happy i am doing this, but its a PITA now.

Should I get the puller or just bring it to a shop seeing they are already out. I doubt the shop would be that expensive and would save me a lot of time.

Any other ideas?

Back