• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double Cardan Joint problems!

Freaky McPants

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I pulled my front driveshaft on saturday to replace the u-joints, and I noticed that the "little ball" between the two u-joints where it hooks up to the transfer case is all messed up. Does anyone know where I can get this part, and do you know how to replace it? Also my jeep's been making this noise that kind of sounds like a glass bottle rolling across concrete, it only happens around 25 mph whether im slowing down or speeding up. Sorry but I cant think of a better way to describe the noise.:confused:

the problems are probably related. Fix the driveshaft and the sound should go away. To fix the front driveshaft just go to the nearest auto wrecker and get a whole replacement drive shaft. It would be way easier then rebuilding that joint. I've done it before but it is no picnic. You might want to check the u-joints at the ends of the front axle as well. They get a lot of wear.

Last edited:
Mine was making a squealing noise and the carden joint looked like it exploded. I went to the local wrecking yard and low and behold I found a recently rebuild shaft with spicer joints and fresh grease. The best part was if I were to get mine rebuilt to this condition it would have cost me about 175. This shaft cost me 30, and the viborations when driving went away.

Good luck

Back