• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to switch to a 4.88 ratio...

What size tires you going to run? Dana 44's are pretty common and can do 4.88's. It really depends on what size tires you want to run and what your doing with your rig. There are many choices. Dana 44's are pretty good even with lockers as long as you're not running really huge tires. There is a sticky on here somewhere that breaks down axles and what they can handle on here. Junkyards are the best place to find axles or on NAXJA's classified section.

I'm currently running 35x10.50's, but I may bump it up to 35x12.50, 37x12.50 max, I really doubt I'll go 37 though. I'm also going to try and put some ARB air lockers in once I can afford them.

You're probably looking at Dana 44's then and you should be ok with 37's if you're not dumb with the right pedal. Bigger than 44's starts to get a bit pricy and difficult to fit under the xj unless you plan on staying higher than 6" of lift.

53guy said:
You're probably looking at Dana 44's then and you should be ok with 37's if you're not dumb with the right pedal. Bigger than 44's starts to get a bit pricy and difficult to fit under the xj unless you plan on staying higher than 6" of lift.

Besides that D60's and 14 bolts with 37's have the same ground clearance(unless they are shaved heavy) as D44's and 35's. The tubes have more clearance, but the pigs don't....

IMO D60's and 14 bolts are more suited for 38's or larger.

Just remember the alloy shafts and other goody's for your D44 and 35's should work great. If you aeren't to hard on the skinny pedal and use rims with good backspacing 37's should work also. They are about the max for D44's.

If you drive it like you stole it stick with the 35's and quailty shafts, otherwise get a D60 and 14 bolts with the 37's and beat the snot out of it...

My set up is working pretty good for the terrain here. IMO I'm at my limit on a Dana44(as TNT said). My next tire will be a lighter 37 . The front is a currie with 4340 shafts 760 ujoints, no breakage.

Don't regear then decide later you want ARB's. That would be twice the labor and money. Save Up and do It at the same time to save money In the long run. IMO on stock axles, stay 35's :)

Back