• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good Cooling System

ok, for those who are still having some issues with their cooling system I thought I would share what I have done.

I am running a 4.7 stroker in my '91 Cherokee 4 door automatic. It is my daily driver, and most of my driving is stop and go city driving. For the most part it runs at 195 on the dot.

I am running a stock waterpump, and a 195 degree thermostat. I am running a stant superstat, it does not flow any quicker than the stock, however it is a little higher quality, and it opens and closes quicker.

I am not running anything special as far as hoses, however I am running new ones, no spring in the lower.

My radiator is different. I am running what is called a Heatbuster. It came from Advance Auto, and it cost bout 200 bucks. It is a three row radiator, all metal construction.

my front setup is different, I dont have an ac condensor in the way, but I do have 2 oil coolers, both of them 10inx12in or so. One is an aftermarket cooler for the motor oil, the other is for transmission fluid.

I am not running a dedicated fan. I do have the ac fan hooked up on a switch though.

I used this vehicle to tow a parts jeep for a friend. We pulled it about 40 miles and used what is probably a 3000lb trailer. Never broke 210 degrees

I have noticed a lot of "cooling help me" posts lately, and thought this might help for some of them. I think that the main difference is my radiator, and since it is a locally available deal, it might be easier for some people, rather than trying to order one from rad barn, or shelling out massive bucks for the aluminum one.

btw, my 4.7 runs great, no leaks or misses, and i just crossed the 4K mile mark.

Cool that is good to know. Dumb question but how is the stroker compared to the stock engine. Like night and day dif???? Other then the bigger injectors did you have to do anything else. THANKS

night and day is a good description, drives better now with 4 passingers and 33's than it did stock with 29's and just me

dont get me wrong, by no means is it a 6gajillion hp super motor, but it does have an awesome torque curve. it has the same amout of get up and go(alot) with 4 people and a trailer as it does just me. the main thing that I need to do now is regear. i lost my overdrive when I went to 33's, and when it tries to shift down to overdrive it starts to lug itself pretty hard. It does fine if I leave it in third, but I would just as asson switch to 4.56's and be done with it

LOL yea I did the same thing put 33's on with stock gears and was very hard to get into overdrive. I put in 4.56 gears also and works great. Had 4.10 gears on my last cherokee with 33's and like the 456 better. Next on my to do list is the stroker. I bought a hole 1999 xj engine from the junk yard for $200 bucks. So I can do the manifold swap at the same time as the stroker. Did you built the engine your self or buy it???

I built the motor, took me forever, the build is easy, I am a student and I work a lot though. for a while I was lucky to have 3 hours a week. I had a machine shop bore and hone as well as clean it, then I had them clean the head. A friend of mine has a race shop so we did the valve job there, after hat it was just bolting stuff on. took me a few tries to get the right main bearings, seems that the punch press that sets the notches got off by 1/8 of an in on some of them, and that lot got delivered to my area. took me 2 months of only working on weekends to pull the old motor, have it bored and honed, rebuild it, then swap it back in. I am about to help 2 friends make a couple more of them

I've seen alot of tech articles on what to do and how to get it done. Very little on where to source them from. Or who's good and who's not. That's what I'm trying to find out.:rattle:

Back