• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another engine starting question

slammed73sb

NAXJA Forum User
okay here goes, today after work, went out to my baby and got in turned it over and no start...it turns over fine....i try it like five times to no avail and then a friend from work walks by and says to hold the gas pedal to the floor and when it cranks let off immediatly. i do so and it starts, spudders for a few seconds and then it is fine....he told me that the injectors were bad, that they were leaking into the head. does this sound about right????

could be the Crank Position Sensor also.
What year is yours?
Why would, all of a sudden, multiple injectors leak?

its a 92....as for the injectors i have no idea, that is just what i was told. i am going to do a fuel pressure check i think and go from there. could it be the fuel pump or filter maybe??

Holding the gas pedal to the floor signals the computer to turn off the injectors while cranking. It is a hold over from the carb flooding starting method.

Like the guy said, a leaking injector can cause a similar symptoms. You should be able do diagnose it by turning off the engine and waiting about 15 minutes. You should still have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If not, you either have a bad injector or a bad check valve in the fuel pump.

next question, if it is a bad injector, is there anyway to test which 1 it is or do i just replace all 6, this is my first FI vehcile, i'v always had cars with carbs mostly VW's

i just went out a cranked the jeep and it started up w/o hold the gas but it took a couple of seconds to start, after it did start, it spudders for about 10 seconds and blew out a little black smoke, with it blowing smoke am i screwing up the cylinders??

so i just went back out and tested it and there was no fuel pressure at the test valve, pressed it in and i few drops trickled out........???????

well, took it to shop, they did fuel pressure test and said all was good.....i told them that it was hardest to crank first thing or after sitting for long hours, i left it overnight so they could crank it in the morning to see what was happening....we will see what they say:thumbup::thumbup:

Since you are loosing fuel pressure and are getting a large black cloud, you have a bad fuel injector. You can pull the plugs and should be able to see what cylinder is leaking by looking at the plugs.

While you can replace just one injector, I tend to do all at once if the mileage is high.

Do a search on Ford Injectors. They can be found on ebay for a reasonable amount. They pull them to replace them with bigger units. The multi-hole design of the Ford units yields a touch more power in the XJ. I scored a set for my stroker for around $50

Actually, I would run a can of BG44k though the gas. It may clean up the injector issue. Don't waste your money on the other injector cleaners. BG44K runs about $20 a can.

the enigine seems to start okay now, it starts the RPMs stay at about 1000 for about 1 min smokes a very little and then the RPMs drop back down to about 500 at idle. i will look for the ford injectors, is there a particular 1 i should look for . the jeep injectors at autozone are around $300 - $400 new, the is a little steep right now for me, slow time of the year at work for me....:repair:

okay here is a question...i keep reading about replacing the o-rings on leaky injectors.....would that be something to try its only $7 for the o-ring kit and takes about 10 minutes to do

well, went out to check the spark plugs....they were all shot. i have only had the jeep for about 2 weeks and haven't had a chance to look at them. replaced all the plugs....still does the same thing...turn it over and no crank, hold pedal to floor and it starts. i let it run for a few minutes. turn it off wait about 30 seconds and try to start and it does the same, no start and have to hold the pedal down. i went and picked up a new fuel filter and pump/float assembly. i will replace this on Wednesday ad see what happens. i guess the next thing from there would be to change the injectors. let me know what you guys think so far, is there anything else that should be replaced before the injectors i.e. CPS????

Yeah try the CPS, it's much easier and cheaper.
Mines only a month old and OEM, but if I have a nostart problem even as early as tomorrow, that's the first thing I would try.

Back