• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Cruse Control?

1989cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have just bought a 2000 Sport with just 50k party1: from my brother inlaw, but it does not have speed control:dunno: has anyone tryed to retrofit cruse into a cherokee that was not factory equiped?
Thanks for the help i drive 2 to 3 k a month on the highway out here in Oregon.

There have been several threads on the subject recently. I added cruise to my '99 XJ using a factory parts kit purchased online from Jeepsareus.com. Others have managed to get what they need from salvage yards. You will need the following:

*Servo unit w/throttle cable (complete assembly, remember to snag the vacuum hoses as well).

*Clockspring (located behind steering wheel, the one for cruise units has an extra wire).

*Left and Right cruise switches ('97-'98 and '99-01 are different SKU's, be sure to get the latter). You can re-use your existing steering wheel.

*Y-cable that goes between the switches and the clockspring.

I installed mine in about an hour or so. The hardest part was figuring out how the clockspring came out of the steering column. It's easier once you have the new part in hand and can see where the mounting tabs are located. I also had to open the servo mounting holes in the engine compartment up a little with a drill, as the screws in the kit were too large.

Use the search feature on the tool bar at the top of the forum.

I'll be doing a how to write up on how to do it whenever I get around to adding cruise control onto my 99. It's been covered here before and with a quick search you should be able to find all the information you need.

Use the "search" link above, and type in "cruise" or "cruise control". And yes, it helps to spell it correctly. :D

what about aftermarket i would think its got to be easier to hook up anybody used it? just seems like so much trouble to be changeing the steering wheel etc

kennzz05 said:
what about aftermarket i would think its got to be easier to hook up anybody used it? just seems like so much trouble to be changeing the steering wheel etc

The parts to put the factory stuff on are cheaper and plug right in. You could go aftermarket, but I think it's better in the long run to go with the factory stuff.

You don't need to replace the whole steering wheel, just remove it to change the clock spring and install the controls in it.

Look into aftermarket kits, they may be a better option for you.

kennzz05 said:
I didn't look at any of the aftermarket kits. I managed to get the components from a boneyard. The installation was very easy. All plug and play. I did not need to use a "puller" for the boneyard steering wheel or on my 1999 though it did take a good amount of back and fourth, up and down and side to side persuasion. I managed to get the parts for $50 and a new OEM kit is around $300. (eBay) If you go the boneyard route I would recommend pulling the parts yourself or at least watching while it is done to aid in the installation. As Bzamora stated, "You can re-use your existing steering wheel" you just need to add the controls to it. I was very glad to get it installed on mine and well worth the time and cost. Good luck with yours.

Thanks again to all who replyed! I will buy the oem kit and have my ace electrical guy:speepin: install it. He just replace the ignition switch on my 89.:speepin:

Thanks
PS Will post an update on the install. I will be putting on the under hood parts myself.

You can buy a steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller from any auto parts store for less than $20. Everybody should have one of these in their toolbox anyway. BTW always be sure to disable the airbag first by disconnecting the battery and waiting a few minutes. When reconnecting the power be sure to be outside of the vehicle, and reach through the window when you first turn the key. Otherwise you'll get smacked if by chance the airbag goes *POP* if something wasn't hooked back up right.

Boy that sounds scarrrry!:flame: What is the consenus here should i have a dealer install the oem kit from jeepsareus.com and just pay the big $$$:helpme:

The install is relatively simple. If you buy the kit form jeepsareus.com it will come with the same instructions that the Jeep dealer uses to install them.

I wouldn't pay the dealer to install it. If you aren't comfortable doing it, I bet you can find someone local to give you a hand for a case of beer.

Back