• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting issues

XJ_Dreams

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i have a 92 XJ 4.0L auto

well to begin with it engages into gear harshly, then while drivin the jeep will not shift properly, the only way to get it to shift is to rev the truck all the way to 6500 rpm and it will shift fine

The throttle cable, if misadjusted can cause sluggish or harsh shifting. It does not control the rpms that the trans computer shifts at. Your problem is most likely a bad TPS (throttle position sensor).

6,500 rpm to shift! :shocked: :eyes: Gezz! :explosion

Most likely suspect is the TPS. They do wear out.

XJ_Dreams said:
hey guys, i have a 92 XJ 4.0L auto

well to begin with it engages into gear harshly, then while drivin the jeep will not shift properly, the only way to get it to shift is to rev the truck all the way to 6500 rpm and it will shift fine

Thought XJs redlined at like 5500...lucky you dont blow your engine...

XJ_Dreams said:
also my speedo quit shortly after the tranny stopped shifting

Well, now theres a HUGE CLUE!!!!! :laugh3:

I think the TCU reads engine RPM off the same cable, or line. The TCU electronicly shifts the tranny based on engine RPM and the TPS location (rate of acceleration). Fix the speedometer problem and it should fix the tranny shifting problem in your case.:D

The TCU has it's own rear output speed sensor - at least on the 4wd. I haven't looked at a 2wd or the FSM to see if the sensor is shared with the speedo, but I don't think it is. Of course, it may be possible that a wiring harness got munched and took out a couple of things at once.

Hi,can anu body help me, would the tps stop the auto box from kicking down gears as when i get in to top gear and floor the throtle nothing happens just a low rev and a slow pick up, also it seams to go up the box quick, flushed box ,new atp4.
97 xj 4.0 auto

rookie74301 said:
Hi,can anu body help me, would the tps stop the auto box from kicking down gears as when i get in to top gear and floor the throtle nothing happens just a low rev and a slow pick up, also it seams to go up the box quick, flushed box ,new atp4.
97 xj 4.0 auto

Yup. Those are the exact symptoms of a bad TPS.

lawsoncl said:
The TCU has it's own rear output speed sensor - at least on the 4wd. I haven't looked at a 2wd or the FSM to see if the sensor is shared with the speedo, but I don't think it is. Of course, it may be possible that a wiring harness got munched and took out a couple of things at once.

I may be thinking of the cruise control speed sensor on the speedometer cable on my 87 Wagoneer?

I still think they are likely to be related problems.

Back