• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air

tn88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 64 xj with the 2.5L. It has the a/c air compressor still on it so I was wanting to know how hard it would be to convert it to an air compressor for on board air

no such thing as a 64 xj

very easy to put on board air on your jeep.

honestly, its so easy to search. its been covered countless times man

holy crap a 64 xj... lets see some pics!

maybe he means he has 64 xj's with all bearing the 2.5l?

Go to Google.com and enter onboard air. Tons of info.

tn88xj said:
No sorry its an 84 and I wouldn't have posted this if I would have found it in the search.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
If you already have AC, and it's out of Feon, you can convert the compressor to an OBA system. Or you can buy brackets and stuff from Kilby to install a York style compressor.

I did an OBA on my 2.5L YJ, but since I didn't have AC, I had to get one from the junk yard, add a idler pully and replace the serpenting belt.

I modified the connecting fitting an tapped them for 1/4" NPT fittings. The intake got a tool oiler (with oil), and the output went to a small tank, pressure switch, guage/water separator and a hose coupler. Electrical is simple. The wire from the compressor engages the clutch on the compressor. Wire it in series with the pressure switch, a regular switch, so you can dissable the OBA, and about a 5A fuse.

At some point, I want to install a one way valve between the compressor and the rest of the stuff on the output side as the Sanden leaks a bit internally because it uses reed valves to open and close each chamber. Since I only use it to pump up tires, it's no big deal at the moment.

Back