• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 headgasket replacement help (rockers)

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I'm replacing the headgasket on my bro's ZJ 4.0. As I unbolt the rockers, it seems the little hat-shaped pieces of metal that connect pairs of rockers keep bending (the bolts are on very tight). Are these cheaply replaceable, or do I have to straighten them to reinstall? I'm a little shocked at just how easy it is to pull the heads on these jeeps - I just got done with a Range Rover and it seemed like I could do the jeep with my eyes closed - till I ran into these rocker covers. Anyway help would be great because I need this job done my tomorrow night.

Joe

darjevon said:
I've been loosening them alternately but the first two have BOTH bent seriously. Does anyone have a cheap source on these?

The bridge (that's what it's called) is mainly there to keep the rockers from pivoting. The pivots are located with respect to each other (in pairs by cylinder) that way, and it helps to maintain valvetrain geometry.

I'd not worry about replacing the bridges - you'll usually only find them (usually) when you get a rocker arm kit anyhow (comes with two rocker arms, two pivots, a bridge, and may or may not have capscrews.)

Check the undersides of the pivots for galling - if you don't find any, reuse the bridges (since nothing really bears on them anyhow.) When I pulled the heads off of my 87 and my 89 Limited,some of the pivot bridges were misshapen - but were able to be reinstalled (the pivots were fine.)

darjevon said:
I'm a little shocked at just how easy it is to pull the heads on these jeeps

Other than the weight of the 4.0L head, they are easy to pull. I have pulled the heads on the 2.5L and the 4.0L and had bent bridges on both. I just straitened them out and put it back together with no problems.

At least all they do is bend. I've worked on other AMC engines that have those parts made of cast aluminum, which snap in half. Either loosen alternately or roll the motor over until neither valve of the pair is depressed at all.

Ok one more thing before this thread passes into oblivion - does anyone know where to get a set of stock replacement piston rings for a 96 ZJ 4.0 for a good price? TIA, Joe

Back