• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV valves. How the heck do i get them off?

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
leaks003.jpg

leaks002.jpg

See the two CCV (crankshaft ventilation fittings).
Why they are leaking i have no idea,but they are caking oil all over my ground on the block.
Ive been trying to pry them out but have had no luck. Are they supposed to just pop right out of the valve cover?
I am also hearing a hissing noise when driving, ive heard this is a sighn of CCV failure.

oh yeah, to keep em from leaking i think if you clean up the inside of the valve cover real good , form the inside, it will minimize the oil around the base of the CCV. also clean out the ccv real good with brake cleaner maybe. i think that would work.

if it isnt dripping oil i think it might be more of a headache than just wiping em down each now and then.

where does one buy these replacement ccv's? i cant seem to get em anywhere. to remove em you just pop off the hoses and tuern em left i think and they come right out.

Use a small flat-blade screwdriver. They're just grommets with some wacky stuff involved - take them out like they're just big grommets.

When you put the new ones in (or replace these,) I've found that a light bead of RTV Black around the bottom of the groove helps.

For cleaning your engine, you can use LPS Precision Clean for heavy-duty spot work, then any citrus-based cleaner you happen to like.

5-90

the stealership sells them.
Crank case emmision control equipment is seperated into two different systems: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PVC) and Crankcase Ventilation System (CCV). The systems perform the same function, differing only in the way the exhaust gasses are metered. The PVC system uses a valve, containing spring loaded plunger, which meters the amount of crankcase vapors routed to the combustion chamber based on manifold vacuum. The CCV system contains a metered orifice of a calibrated size whicj meters the amount of crankcase vapors drawn from the engine based on manifold vacuum.
To inspect if they are bad. Shake it, if the valve rattles then its prob fine, but if there is no sound it must be replaced and the PVC hose cleaned by spraying solvent such as throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner through it. Make sure no clogs, kinks or splits in the hoses.

SLAYER said:
the stealership sells them.
Crank case emmision control equipment is seperated into two different systems: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PVC) and Crankcase Ventilation System (CCV). The systems perform the same function, differing only in the way the exhaust gasses are metered. The PVC system uses a valve, containing spring loaded plunger, which meters the amount of crankcase vapors routed to the combustion chamber based on manifold vacuum. The CCV system contains a metered orifice of a calibrated size whicj meters the amount of crankcase vapors drawn from the engine based on manifold vacuum.
To inspect if they are bad. Shake it, if the valve rattles then its prob fine, but if there is no sound it must be replaced and the PVC hose cleaned by spraying solvent such as throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner through it. Make sure no clogs, kinks or splits in the hoses.

Yeah... Where you going with this?

As I'd mentioned, they're just "grommets with wacky stuff invovled" (viz. a metering orifice and a retention mechanism for a hose,) and they'll therefore remove easily - just like grommets. Take a small screwdriver, use it to get under one part of the edge of the thing, and work around. Take about 30 seconds each to get out (at least, they do for me.)

Takes slightly longer to put back in - and do use RTV Black, as I'd mentioned. It really does help...

Clean your lines if you aren't replacing them as well.

5-90

Ive been prying pretty hard on them and they still wont come out. Thats why i thought they were some how fastened with something underneath inside the valve cover. Pry underneath the rubber grommet or the plastic valve?

SLAYER said:
Ive been prying pretty hard on them and they still wont come out. Thats why i thought they were some how fastened with something underneath inside the valve cover. Pry underneath the rubber grommet or the plastic valve?
Depending on how old they are, they may have degraded. On BOTH my 90's, when I pulled the OE ones, they ripped apart due to fatigue and age. IF/WHEN you get em out, I think your gonna have to replace em.

SLAYER said:

Rubber grommet. What you're after is getting the end of the screwdriver between the grommet and the hole it's in.

honky is correct - if they're fairly old, they'll probably be hard, so be careful. Rubber can deteriorate in many ways - one of them is to become like a brick. I have (very rarely!) had to cut grommets out of valve covers, and I don't recommend it (since you're damn near guaranteed to crap up the oil supply doing so!)

Work your small flat screwdriver under the edge of the grommet until you can see the hole it's in. Then, work the end of the screwdriver through the hole, until you can see the lower part of the grommet "folded" back by the screwdriver. Gently pry upwards (STOP if you see rubber bits coming loose and get a second screwdriver!) and work your way around the thing until you get about halfway around - you should be able to pull it right out then.

5-90

SLAYER said:
To inspect if they are bad. Shake it, if the valve rattles then its prob fine, but if there is no sound it must be replaced .

there is nothing to shake and rattle on the 4.0L jeeps. those are empty plastic elbows. as you mentioned, they are called CCV valves on these engines, and are a dealer only item.

and with age those grommets get so hard that they are almost impossible to get out. i usually take a exacto or razor and start taking the rubber apart in small chunks while being carefull not to drop any of the pieces in the valve cover.

because of how hard it is to replace them once they harden, i usually replace mine once a year. that way they're easier to replace and definitely never leak. but that's just me.

Why not simply remove the valve cover and clean it out? Chances are its full of gunk. When you order the grommets, check your service manual for the correct orifice size for the CCV. Mine (89) takes a 2.2mm. The one that was in there was a 6mm one which explains the oil that was on my air filter. In my FSM, there's a callout on the emmisson control diagram specing it (but no where else that I could see).

There's some "towers" inside the valve cover that should be unbolted and the flapper plate inside cleaned.

Hi All,

Just joined the Forum and, as it happens, I just dealt with this same problem on my '00 last week. What's happened are the rubber mounting grommets have pertrified; you will not be able to remove them easily (by prying them) and you will more than likely crack both the fresh air and CCV fittings if you try and pop them free. I had to cut my grommets apart to get them to come out. I also replaced the original valve cover gasket (which was seeping oil onto the exhaust manifold); I would recommend you remove the valve cover as this will eliminate the risk of some of the old grommets from falling into the engine. The grommets are sold through the dealership; new ones will stop the spooge from messing up the valve cover and also restore a proper air tight seal at these junctions (as will a new valve cover gasket (available at NAPA).

Hope this helps....

Mike

SLAYER said:
How much was your valve cover?
Napa priced at 39.99.

Yeah, that's probably what I paid for it.... it's not your basic cork or neoprene gasket. It is a compund piece that has a metal frame to stabilize the gasket and position it properly on the cylinder head. The actual rubber gasket is molded onto the metal base. I guess it's supposed to be reuseable. Given the fact the CCV grommets had turned to stone in 6 years I figured the valve cover gasket was not far behind and with it already leaking a bit.......Bottom line was I had to remove the valve cover to attack the grommets and, believing in Murphy's Laws, I didn't want to have to remove it again in a short time to replace the gasket. Do it right, do it once and you won't have to do it again.

Mike

5-90 said:
Use a small flat-blade screwdriver. They're just grommets with some wacky stuff involved - take them out like they're just big grommets.
5-90
If they are like my 93' you have to twist them 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then they just pull out. If you try prying this type grommet it will BREAK.

Good luck,
Jason

jelrod said:
If they are like my 93' you have to twist them 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then they just pull out. If you try prying this type grommet it will BREAK.

Good luck,
Jason

not saying you're wrong, just saying i would like to see that. i've replaced them on a 89XJ, 95XJ, 94grand cherokee and 97TJ, and none of them came out by turning. i had to cut the grommets on all of them.

if there are in fact some versions that have a "locking" mechanism that you can just turn to remove, then it might be worth looking into that for some other years.

My 92 had the twist lock version. Turn em counter clockwise approx 90* and they will lift right out.

Back