• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud cracking sound when turning

nickPRO

NAXJA Forum User
ok this happened to me about ten times and ive been wondering what it might be! when i start the car , unpark it and turn either left or right (not sure) it makes a loud cracking sound as if something broke and you can feel it on the steering wheel! this only happens when it is in reverse and im turning, never while i drive it around normally! what could it be? something loose maybe? thanks

I have had similar problems, but only after putting on a lift. Is it stock or has it been modified?

My first guess if you can feel it in the steering is a bad axle universal joint. Once you're under way and going fairly straight it won't be bothersome, but they can crunch and crackle at low speeds in turns.

You can see the U-joint in the axle, and if you reach in and wiggle it, and it rattles or shows play, it's bad. If you jack up a wheel and rotate it back and forth, it's easier to detect play, and if you then crank the steering all the way over and rotate the wheel, you should be able to rotate the wheel without hearing noises, or feeling binding.

Check the tightness of the steering box bolts and for cracks around the steering box bolt holes.
I believe the bolts should be torqued to 60 lbs ft.... Someone correct me if I am wrong....
These are known problems that can surface over time due to the use of an aluminum spacer between the uniframe and steering box....
Have known of quite of few people with this exact problem....

Back