• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioning squeal

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
well, firestone finally figured out that my squealing noise is coming from the air conditioning compressor...

Is is possible to replace the clutch on the compressor? or do we have to replace the whole compressor? and how would be the best way to go about this? Get one from a junk yard? I dunno you tell me...

Is it the compressor... OR is it the serpentine belt when the clutch engages ??
I have heard of rebuild kits to replace the clutch..., but probably would be better to replace the compressor with a new or rebuilt one.....
While removing the clutch from an old compressor; you could disturb the compressor shaft seal and cause a refrigerent leak... which would require you to replace the compressor anyway...

Yeah, make extra sure it's not just the belt. If it usually does it only when the Jeep has just been started, like in a parking lot with the A/C on, turning the steering and accelerating, that's definitely a belt issue. Even if you're going straight, with the A/C on and accelerating, it'll squeel and sound like Hell has been relocated to your engine bay.

I'm in the market for a new A/C clutch and they're just about as much as a new compressor, if you can find one. The trick is that if you get a new/reman compressor, you also have to buy a few extra parts in order to keep the warranty valid on it. I've found the clutch at the dealer to be ~$215, same for at Autozone, and Autozone wants something like $260 for a new compressor, before you buy the other parts(accumulator and orifice tube).

Mine has been squeeling like crazy. I replaced the belt today and it got a little better, then I went a little tighter on the belt and the tensioner went away completely. I can't seem to find my krikit to check the tension of the belt and I thought I had it tight enough

Back