• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest tire size without regearing?

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Jeep cherokee laredo inline 6, 4.0 with 4wd and d35 axles. I have a 6 inch lift and was wondering what's the biggest tire size that I can run without regearing also note any trimming of fenders if that needs to be done! Thank you!

I wouldn't run bigger than 31's on a d35. ;) I broke mine on 32's.

A simple search would show that you don't need to go over 33's on a d35, and that's with pretty much zero crawling and only some trails, regardless of your lift. ..The regearing is up to you. I mean, you could do 37's on 6" lift with heavy trimming, running d35's, and no regearing. ...I just really hope you wouldn't want to do that. Look at the regearing thread, there's a great conversion there, that should give you an idea of what size tire you want.

what you should do for it to work properly and for it to work are completly different. Now changing any tires size you should regear. That being said, I am ran 33's for 1.5 without regearing, but hardly ever went on the highway. I am upgrading to 36s this week, and still have not regeared. Now I am planning on it and I don't drive my jeep on the highway for more than a couple miles at most. I just bought a trailer. I am also buidling a different front axle to put up front and plan on regearing when I swap that in. So I don't want to waste any money on a stock axle, just to spend it on a different one. Now remember you should regear on any upgrade on tire size. Seeing that you are at 6.5 lift with d33/d35 you are gonna swap axles no matter what so I wouldn't waste money on them. So start building different axles to swap in right now! And If I was you I would run 31's if you drive on the highway a lot, 33's if some highway, and 35's with no highway. 35s will require some trimming.

35's .. on a d35 .. on a trail rig? You're kidding right? I hope he doesn't like his friends very much, leaving them with the bad day they will have when his c-clip dana 35 blows up on the trail.

Just suggesting someone go through the trouble of fitting a front d35 without regearing it is something to be ashamed of. ;)

I just put 33" on. It is an '88, Auto. with no regear.

Seems fine around town. Actually just used the XJ today about 60 miles round trip on the freeway. I was keeping up with So Cal traffic no problem, mostly cruising under 2K RPM

I guess my answer would be 31" or 33" without regearing, depending on your intended use.

All bashing on the d35 aside.

I ran 32's with stock gears on a d35 for almost a year, until the rear end exploded making a hard left turn under about 2/3 throttle (going into a u-turn).

I put on an 8.25 with 4.56 gears, and went from about 14 mpg to about 19 mpg, jsut for having the right gears and not making my 4.0 work so hard to move the jeep forward.

Gears will pay for themselves pretty quick. If your cruising with your engine under about 2200 rpm's, shift to third gear and drive. the 4.0 doesnt like to be bogged down like that on the highway.

"So start building different axles to swap in right now! And If I was you I would run 31's if you drive on the highway a lot, 33's if some highway, and 35's with no highway. 35s will require some trimming."

Maybe it would be been better to specify "around town" instead of "some highway", as its frequently looked at as highway or trail, being the two types of driving. :)

I'd sell the lift, add a BB, trim and run 31s.

cal said:
"So start building different axles to swap in right now! And If I was you I would run 31's if you drive on the highway a lot, 33's if some highway, and 35's with no highway. 35s will require some trimming."

Maybe it would be been better to specify "around town" instead of "some highway", as its frequently looked at as highway or trail, being the two types of driving. :)

True I should have stated that the 35's mean no trails what so ever, 33 light trails, no rocks, and 31's light rocks. But really a d35 has no business on a trail at all, but to each their own.

manual or auto tranny? manual tranny gears are 3.07 and autos are 3.55,so that will make a difference. I am running 30x9.5s on my 92 with 5 speed and I wouldn't want to go any bigger of a tire than that without regearing. street driving anyhow. 5th gear is pretty much useless unless you are on flat ground and the wind isn't blowing.

I have 31's on a 97 with a 35 rear and it has held up so far, but for city driving it really works the engine and kills the mileage, I will be finding a 44 and re gearing for 33's soon.

cal said:
Just suggesting someone go through the trouble of fitting a front d35 without regearing it is something to be ashamed of. ;)

Ahh, see, now I realize that you missed my sarcasm completely. ..Notice the whole "I just really hope you wouldn't want to do that" part. ..BTW, I think it's fairly safe to say he hasn't switched from the stock D30 to a front D35. ..That's not very realistic..

LucasFury said:
Ahh, see, now I realize that you missed my sarcasm completely. ..Notice the whole "I just really hope you wouldn't want to do that" part. ..BTW, I think it's fairly safe to say he hasn't switched from the stock D30 to a front D35. ..That's not very realistic..

But its been done. I can't find the writeup now, someone switched an entire Ranger front TTB setup (including front dana 35) to a cherokee to get IFS.

cal said:
But its been done. I can't find the writeup now, someone switched an entire Ranger front TTB setup (including front dana 35) to a cherokee to get IFS.

Interesting. ..I'm still gonna bet this dude(topic starter) hs a stock front end, haha.

Oh, yes, I'm not going to argue that at all. But he isn't the one that said "d35's". :)

Back