• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on the topic of lockers, what do you use?

avnsteve

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering lockers for my rig, which at the moment is totally stock. I'm less interested in lift at the moment, because I believe my rig can go most anywhere I'm interested in going. Perhaps a little lift later, but traction in shallow mud and loose soil is the problem.

anyway, back on topic: 88 w/4.0 I6, 5 speed, according to the guidance from FAQ, I'm fairly certain I have D30 and D35 respectively. the question is, what would you recommend for bread and butter axle lockers. I do not wish to weld the diffs, I wish to be able do disengage the lockers because I do drive this rig when the weather is too bad for my bike.

spare me the hasta you search nazi's

Well you have 3 choices I think, if you want to be able to disengage the locker. ARB OX and Ected I think it is. Basically Air compressor, cable, or electric. Whichever one of those suits you best. You will have to search for more info on the specifics, I don't know them ans I'm not gonna do it for you.

I know you want a selectable but.... I read everything I could on this forum and others before buyong a locker. I bought a lockright and love it. I also have a 5 speed manual and its no problem what so ever, on or off road. Be gentle on tight slow corners like in a parking lot with the throttle and you will have no problems. I often push in the clutch when making tight turns on pavement and coast around the corner, no problem. It has been reliable and quiet. Tires do wear a little faster but not excessivly. Your driving style will influence how much you will like an auto locker. You lose a little driveability on pavement but in my opinion not enough to worry about. Off road it is absolutly fantastic. Once you put one in you will never go back. You can never go wrong buying a selectable but they cost lots! If I would have known then what I know now I would have bought my lockrite along time ago.

KarlVP said:
Bread and butter axle lockers??

Full detroits. No fiddling with them, just put them in there and drive.

lunch box in this world

in the harley davidson engine upgrade world I see the phrase bread and butter, but I'd guess they have the same basic meaning, inexpensive and functional, not necessarily the top of the line, top dollar

98XJSport said:
Well you have 3 choices I think, if you want to be able to disengage the locker. ARB OX and Ected I think it is. Basically Air compressor, cable, or electric. Whichever one of those suits you best. You will have to search for more info on the specifics, I don't know them ans I'm not gonna do it for you.

exactly the type of guidance I was looking for, I'll do the homework myself, thanks

Gaius said:
I agree, the only locking I would do is locking that D35 away into a deep, dark basement after I swapped it out.

I think I understand the shortcomings of a D35. I've read the opinions here on the board about it, but, I'm not convinced the D35 is a bad axle for a stock rig. Has the D35 failed anybody that's run it stock? I'm not building a hardcore crawler, or even going bigger tires. I'm just looking for a capable occasional camping rig, I was out at the MX tracks a few weeks ago and there was a sudden and violent rainstorm, I couldn't get my XJ out of the SHALLOW mud, and i'm sure lockers would work. other than that problem, I think i'm satisfied with stock

FWIW, I love my Detroit true-tracs. I have them in both front and rear on my 99' and I couldnt be happier. It made a huge improvement over the stock setup. They are not what you would consider a "locker" but they work awesome for me. You would be suprised where my XJ takes me with 31's and a pair of true-tracs. Great thing about them is I do not notice any difference under normal driving conditions but when the streets get slick or I take it off the pavement, the true-tracs really shine. Im sure you will get plenty of opinions and whats works well for someone else may not provide you with the same results, just depends on what you plan on doing with the vehicle. The Detroits may or may not be the right choice for you but I just thought I would share my experience with them. I would think long and hard about putting any money whatsoever into the D35. Maybe you could find a 8.25 from a newer XJ and build it how you want.

Last edited:
I must be the luckiest D35 owner in existance. I go camping and 4 wheeling alot and have never broken an axle. I go on a 2 day trips alot loaded with gear and haul it all over the mountains on very rough rocky terrain, not rock crawling but not roads either. My engine is stroked and rear is locked. I just use some finnesse on the tricky stuff, no problem. I often run chains front and rear. My XJ is a 92 and nothing has broken yet. Lucky? If you want to beat the crap out of your rig in mud holes or serious rock crawling I can see luck running out. I run 31's and 4.5" of lift. 1.5" spacers on the rear axles to accomodate rear chains. No problems. Maybe it just comes down to the nut behind the bolt?

avnsteve said:
I think I understand the shortcomings of a D35. I've read the opinions here on the board about it, but, I'm not convinced the D35 is a bad axle for a stock rig. Has the D35 failed anybody that's run it stock? I'm not building a hardcore crawler, or even going bigger tires. I'm just looking for a capable occasional camping rig, I was out at the MX tracks a few weeks ago and there was a sudden and violent rainstorm, I couldn't get my XJ out of the SHALLOW mud, and i'm sure lockers would work. other than that problem, I think i'm satisfied with stock
Based on what you said you will use your rig for, I think you would get great use out of a lunchbox locker. As mentioned just be aware of how it works and you're fine.

Yes, stock gearing, stockish tires (27s-30s). Taking off from a light, running a trail, and the ring and pinion was from hitting an icy spot in the road then hitting a dry spot - Boom!

The D35 is POS regardless of tire size. I've been around Jeeps too long to know otherwise. It was a huge mistake by AMC/Chrysler to use the 35 in the Wrangler and XJ.

Poor axle never had a chance. :D

It seems to me like the D35 is a fine axle and would work great untill you locked it. Locking puts a lot more stress on internal parts by making both axles spin and applying equal forces to the free and grabbing axle, whereas an open diff would just spin the unloaded axle. Just my thoughts, dont know if it helps anything or not, but Im glad mine came with an eight and a quarter.

Back