• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Use Something Similar to this?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.weekendhobby.com/offroad/jeep/picture/82254810380.jpg

I dont have any really stiff springs in my rear packs and i get a good bit of wheel hop and "bounce" when i let the clutch out. I like this because it doesn't put stress anywhere else in the suspention like a solid mounted ladder bar/torque bar would. suggestions? i was thinking weld a stand off ot the axle tube and use the rear swaybar mounting holes for the upper end of the shock.

One of the local guys has that setup on a '96. He doesnt really seem to notice much difference with it, but the rig doesnt get driven much. :)

Frankly this seems like a poor and expensive solution. You would be wasting alot of travel on a good shock. Better to just extend the spring perch forward to control spring wrap.

i had these mounted on the rear of a 1ton ford diesel with 44" on her an 4sp, they didn't help at all..... Then i saw the hard rail set up they have, that sets on top, i put those on.. These mount to the front leaf spring bolts then mounts to the u- bolts on the rear end. it stop my wheel hop..does hurt your travel a little

jeeperjohn said:
Frankly this seems like a poor and expensive solution. You would be wasting alot of travel on a good shock. Better to just extend the spring perch forward to control spring wrap.

well, i've got 2 rancho shocks i'm not going to use and several peices of 3 and 4" angle iron. i understand its not ideal, same principal of a steering stabilizer for worn steering componets, but thought i'd ask....

scottmcneal said:
i had these mounted on the rear of a 1ton ford diesel with 44" on her an 4sp, they didn't help at all..... Then i saw the hard rail set up they have, that sets on top, i put those on.. These mount to the front leaf spring bolts then mounts to the u- bolts on the rear end. it stop my wheel hop..does hurt your travel a little

say they dont do anything? alright then.

another idea i've had is use a set of thick heavy helper springs out of a fullsize pickup and cut the back half off to use like a "slapper" bar. only thing with that is i still have to wrap the springs up enough to get the "slapper" to contact them and in compression it has the oppertunity to turn my pinion down. that's why i liked the shock idea. length of the shock will change as the suspention moves, but if you happen to wrap up the springs, the shock "turns on" so to speak and dampens the wheel hop....

thoughts?

I had a '89 mustang on which I installed traction bars that came stock on an '85. They worked great and were bolt on. They will stop axle wrap very effectively. Maybe you could find some lakewood traction bars. It would take away a little clearance under the spring but which is the bigger problem, axle wrap or rear clearance?

i had those on my scrambler with 38's all i did is bend and break every shock i put on there, didn't stop wheel hop either

terryd said:
http://www.weekendhobby.com/offroad/jeep/picture/82254810380.jpg

I dont have any really stiff springs in my rear packs and i get a good bit of wheel hop and "bounce" when i let the clutch out. I like this because it doesn't put stress anywhere else in the suspention like a solid mounted ladder bar/torque bar would. suggestions? i was thinking weld a stand off ot the axle tube and use the rear swaybar mounting holes for the upper end of the shock.

I ordered one of these, they actually work and don't limit your axle droop.
traction-bar.jpg

You can get it here, this is the cheapest one I could find, $109.
https://catalog.foothilloffroad.com...d=592&osCsid=658796d8bcb21618324cfd8761642f30

Sam's Offroad has 2, one is $199, and a heavy duty one for $299.

jeeperjohn said:
I had a '89 mustang on which I installed traction bars that came stock on an '85. They worked great and were bolt on. They will stop axle wrap very effectively. Maybe you could find some lakewood traction bars. It would take away a little clearance under the spring but which is the bigger problem, axle wrap or rear clearance?

Yeah, I had a '86 GT that had the stock "quad" or "kicker" shocks. I didn't think they really helped a lot, but the car was probably a bit over powered for the stock suspension. The funny thing is they don't even have leaf springs!

I'd stick with the type of traction bar Sierra Drifter mentioned. They are a proven design and don't cause clearance problems.

Goatman used to run kickershocks on his yellow rig like that along time ago, ask him what his experience was with them

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Yeah, I had a '86 GT that had the stock "quad" or "kicker" shocks. I didn't think they really helped a lot, but the car was probably a bit over powered for the stock suspension. The funny thing is they don't even have leaf springs!

I'd stick with the type of traction bar Sierra Drifter mentioned. They are a proven design and don't cause clearance problems.

A little off topic but they worked really good on my 91. It only had 300hp at the tires but without the quad shocks it would tire hop the dash bezel off lol. Suspension was all aftermarket except for the rear control arms lol.

Sierra Drifter said:
I ordered one of these, they actually work and don't limit your axle droop.
traction-bar.jpg

I like that, but where do you mount that upper link? That's not long enough to reach the t-case crossmember, is it?

Robert

Back