• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 and 92 sensors the same?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping a 96 engine into my 92 cherokee and using the 92 sensors and computer. I noticed all the 96 sensors plugged in perfectly to the 92 engine harness. my question is,will the computer read the signals from the sensors the same as it would if it were the 92 sensors? I thought 96 was obd2 so none of the sensors even fit the 92 wiring harness. thanks for any help,Ben

thanks. I am going to give it a try. the worst that could happen is I have to change the sensors because it won't run,correct?

1996 was the last year of the "old" body style, and the first year of OBD-II. However, some OBD-I engines and controls may have made it into early production 1996 rigs.

Worst case is that you'd have to change some sensors - I don't recall what is the same and what is different offhand, and most of my data is offline (until my new laptop gets here...) I don't think there's a lot of difference between OBD-I and OBD-II sensors, tho, for the most part.

Back