• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extending oxygen sensor wires?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a mopar header and need to extend the oxygen sensor wires so they will reach the hook up in the wiring harness because the fitting for the sensor is not in the same place as it was for the stock exhaust system. can I just splice some wire in to extend them,or is it a special kind of wire that I need to use? what kind of connectors should I use? I know it will have to be very water proof and heat proof,as that is a bad area of th engine compartment. i have done some wiring before,but not in an area that has to be this sealed. thanks,Ben

Splice on the harness end and NOT the sensor end, the length and resistance of the sensor wires are integral to proper operation of the O2 sensor.

Can't see how that would make any difference regarding resistance....
It's a couple milliohms in either location...

I'd do it the easy way - figure out how much extra wire you need, and make a jumper with a three-pole Weatherpack at each end. Plug it in between.

The HEGO on HO XJs generates a voltage at low current - as long as you use a wire gage at least the same size as OEM (18AWG, as I recall) you should be fine. But, using the Weatherpacks would simplify things immensely - you don't have to worry about splicing, they're already environmentally sealed, and you can build the thing on the workbench and just plug it in when you get down there.

you can get a lot of extra slack by removing the O2 sensor wires from the harness, tape it back up and run it where you need. No splicing, no extra connection. Simple is best.

cjben said:
where could i get the weatherpacks?

Good used connectors can be saved from old sensors such as CPS, TPS, O2. I know that the TPS plugs right into the CPS. Pins can be gotten from MAT and CTS etc. When I replace sensors, I snip off the pigtail and save the connectors.

SuperRA said:
Good used connectors can be saved from old sensors such as CPS, TPS, O2. I know that the TPS plugs right into the CPS. Pins can be gotten from MAT and CTS etc. When I replace sensors, I snip off the pigtail and save the connectors.

So do I. Also, save the "heat sleeving" if you replace any HEGO sensors - that stuff always comes in handy sooner or later (if not for heat protection, then for protecting wires and small hoses from abrasion...)

The proper crimper for Weatherpacks is a bit spendy (typically $30 or so,) but I use WPs everywhere, and the thing lasts just about forever anyhow. I'll use a Gardner-Bender staking tool for the yellow/blue/red-sleeved lugs, it works well.

It's possible that you can run into "keyed" Weatherpacks - but it's fairly rare. I don't think I've run into one in a good fifteen years or so...

Back