• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting the parking brake?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
As far as I know, the manual doesn't outline how to do this, and I have no idea how to do it. I found the rear parking brake cable, where it splits from one cable into two, however I have NO idea how to tighten this. my handbrake flat out doesn't work, I can roll my jeep around with it completely engaged, and it isn't any different if it's disengaged.

there are two nuts on the end of that cable where it splits into two cables. loosen the jamb nut and tighten the other nut until your brake functions satisfactory. then tighten the jamb nut back against the adjuster nut. do all of this with the brake DISENGAGED, that is to say with the parking brake lever DOWN. with an auto tranny, your brake should hold the vehicle in gear, at idle, on flat, level surface.

Before you adjust your parking brake you should double-check the adjustment at the brakes themselves. The parking brake should not need routine adjustment unless you've changed something. So if you're having problems you should first look elsewhere, and then, when all is checked out, do the cable adjustment above. The slef-adjusters on the rear brakes are prone to failure, and this will affect the parking brake, often before you feel the effect in the service brakes.

I'm assuming from your handle that you have a 98. If for some reason this is incorrect and you have a pre-97 Jeep, you should also check the anchors in the floor which hold the front ends of the cable sheaths. These tend to flex and crack, and it's virtually impossible to get a tight brake unless you reinforce them.

Exactly what Matthew said.

You must adjust the rear brakes first, then if it is still not working 100%, you can tighten the cable a little bit.

The adjusters are at between the rear brake shoes at the bottom....
As you back up your Jeep and depress the brake pedal; as the wheel cylinder pushes against the shoes to engage the brakes; there is a small cable attached to the one brake shoe that actuates a lever that pushes against the adjustment star of the adjuster....
Usually what happens is the sliding surface inside the star gets dirty and the start does not rotate.....
You will need to remove the adjuster, clean it and lubricated the side inside the star.
Once you have done this procedure to both rear brakes....; then back the Jeep up several times tapping the brakes several times. This should resolve the problem with the adjuster....
Engage the emergency brake to see if it works; if not.... then adjust the nut on the threaded rod for the emergency brake cable (with the emergency brake disengaged).
This should do the trick....

rather than start a new thread, i'm just going to ask my question here... it's not so much tech as wondering if napa would be the best place to get a new adjuster or if i'm going to have to go to the stealership. and if you're feeling so generous, a part number would be most excellent:wave:

rather than start a new thread, i'm just going to ask my question here... it's not so much tech as wondering if napa would be the best place to get a new adjuster or if i'm going to have to go to the stealership. and if you're feeling so generous, a part number would be most excellent:wave:
You can get all the drum brake internals from NAPA and other suppliers (usually Wagner brand). They're easy to get, and work all right. The only reservation is the pivoting guides for the adjuster cables, which seat in a hole in the top of a shoe. The bosses on the replacements tend to be too shallow, and they can fall out. All the rest of the parts are good enough.

If you're getting the adjuster cable, make sure you get the right one for your drum diameter.

sorry, i don't think i specified. not the adjuster physically in the drum, but the one that connects the cable coming from the handle to the 2 that go to each brake, kinda like this but mine is super rusty and not even worth trying to save.

Adjuster.jpg

sorry, i don't think i specified. not the adjuster physically in the drum, but the one that connects the cable coming from the handle to the 2 that go to each brake, kinda like this but mine is super rusty and not even worth trying to save.

Adjuster.jpg
I doubt you'll find that one. I would not give up on it, though. If you can get the nut off, you can chase the threads and save it. I managed to get a little Dremel tool up there on my very rusty 95 and slice the nut off.

yeah i might end up running a die over it. sometimes they break when you try to get them off. guess i'll have to use our best friend PB blaster...

Hate to bring up adead thread but i gots a ???

My parking brake does fine when facing forward down a hill... but backwards...yeah lets just say i got out and walked into the convenience store to walk back out and see my jeep resting against another car.... WTF. it gets tight about half way pulling it up but it still will not hold when facing up the hill.

HELP!!!

josh

I recall backing up with the emergency brake and then trying to go forward. I think this is inherent in the design. What can you do?
1. If not sure of condition, remove drums, clean, replace parts as needed.
2. Make sure they are adjusted right. Jack up rear and adjust through backing plate until you get slight resistance. Pump brakes a couple of times. Recheck resistance. Back off slightly to get very, very small amount of scraping sound when rotating.
3. If a manual transmission, leave it in first gear. If automatic leave it in park. This one is stupid, but - don't leave tcase in neutral.
4. Only thing I can think of better is wheel chocks.

Back