• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ASD or ECU?

67TEMP

NAXJA Forum User
Currently my 98 isn't getting power to the coil, fuel pump, injectors, and the dash is dead. It will crank but not fire. Does this sound like the ECU is bad or the auto shutdown relay is stopping it? Would the relay be affected if the airbags have been deployed then removed or would jump starting it have fried the ecu?

First check all your fuses in the PDC/fusebox. It can be something as simple as that. My 00's asd relay would act up b/c the fuel pump relay was blown. Then I would test the asd to rule it out, as its much cheaper than just buying a new ecu and if the asd is currently triggered by something, the new ecu won't fix it either. The ASD relay receives a GROUND as the CONTROL SIGNAL from the ecu/pcm. So to test if the ASD is at fault for the no start condition(b/c the pcm isn't sending a control signal b/c another item is malfunctioning) you just have to send an alternate ground to the ground control signal to your ASD relays ground terminal. on both a 2000 and a 99 it is the c6 terminal of the relay and the wire underneath is dark blue with a yellow stripe/tracer. it may be the same on a 98 but check first.
asd.jpg

Last edited:
Back