• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring a second fuseblock...wire ga?

Beast XJ01

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the idea, I'm gonna add a secondary fuseblock in the cubby in the cargo area of my 01.... mainly for small thngs, but also gonna hook up my inverter to it instead of running it to the sig lighter.

Now the invertor is gonna use 10ga wire and a 30 amp fuse, most of the other things hooked to it are gonna be 20 amp or less (backup lights, etc) so I was thinking of running 6ga wire from the battery back to the second fuseblock. Is 6ga overkill? How easy to run the wire from the engine compartment to the cargo area cubby? run it inside or underneath? should I use welding cable instead for better flex and protection? I understand welding cable has a stronger sheathing.

anyone done anything similar?

I've done lots of searches, and most people are putting fuse blocks in the engone compartment or under the dash.

Thanks in advance,

Beast

I have just about exactly the same set up you're talking about. I've got 4AWG (fused@180A) from the battery to a distribution block under the back seat. From there the 4AWG continues on to my sub amp. Off that Distribution block is a 10AWG (fused @30A) to a fuse block behind the passenger side trim panel, a 8AWG (fused @60A) to an amp under my front passenger seat, and another 10AWG wire for my power inverter that resides under the back seat (no fuse on that one it's only about a six inch run).

I think 6AWG would be fine for what your planning on running. You're probably going to want to fuse it @ 60A at the battery, and then drop down to smaller size fuses as you drop wire size. I would use a dedicated distribution block to power the inverter from the main line. Unless you're ordering some special fuse block most are only rated for 30A total.

Last edited:
great page link! I am gonna have to do the math, but 6ga @ 50 amps is good for 46'.... I'm thinking about 25 feet total from front to back (allowing for bends) and I doubt I'll ever have more than 50amps going at a time, though probably more than that on the whole block.

definately gonna have the AC invertor...very occasional use. (already installed)
the two fifty watt back up lights ... used when backing up and with manual switch if needed.
also, have the fuse for the air compressor controller for the air springs.

a couple cig lighter style jacks (20 amp? limit) for any 12v accessories.

next year.
a few extra exteror lights....added turn and brake lights trippgered off the OEM by relays....
and leave some openings for possible future expansion.

Beast

Just something to keep in mind. Your inverter is going to draw close to it's rated current most of the time if you got anything of decent size on it. That is why I suggested the dis block and it's own fuse separate from the aux fuse block. Also if you have an air compressor it will draw it's full rated current just about anytime your using it. Being that your inverter, and compressor will be the two biggest current users I would total those two at there full draw capability, and fuse them separately off your main feed from the aux fuse block.

Example
60A Max draw from the inverter.
+
40A Max draw from your compressor.
+
30A For the Aux fuse block
=
140A Possible max draw.

Now I don't know what size of inverter you have, but my 700w (1400 surge) Vector has three 30A fuses in it meaning it can draw up to 90A

My Kicker Zr 360 has two 40A fuses in it totaling 80A possible max.

I have the 30A aux fuse block, and I cant remember for sure, but I think my other amp has two 30A fuses. So there is a Possability I could draw 220A of current from my battery! Which is infact more than my 4AWG could handle, and why I have it fused at 180A.

I have personally melted 0-4 AWG (thats four gauges below 0) off, and it's not a fun expearence!

02-15-07_0111.jpg

03-03-07_0438.jpg

Last edited:
scoobyxj said:
Just something to keep in mind. Your inverter is going to draw close to it's rated current most of the time if you got anything of decent size on it. That is why I suggested the dis block and it's own fuse separate from the aux fuse block. Also if you have an air compressor it will draw it's full rated current just about anytime your using it. Being that your inverter, and compressor will be the two biggest current users I would total those two at there full draw capability, and fuse them separately off your main feed from the aux fuse block.

Example
60A Max draw from the inverter.
+
40A Max draw from your compressor.
+
30A For the Aux fuse block
=
140A Possible max draw.

Now I don't know what size of inverter you have, but my 700w (1400 surge) Vector has three 30A fuses in it meaning it can draw up to 90A

My Kicker Zr 360 has two 40A fuses in it totaling 80A possible max.

I have the 30A aux fuse block, and I cant remember for sure, but I think my other amp has two 30A fuses. So there is a Possability I could draw 220A of current from my battery! Which is infact more than my 4AWG could handle, and why I have it fused at 180A.

I have personally melted 0-4 AWG (thats four gauges below 0) off, and it's not a fun expearence!

02-15-07_0111.jpg

03-03-07_0438.jpg

I mounted one under the hood , used 4 gauge battery cable to power it and 10 gauge to all my accessories.
f537.jpg

weird....I posted a reply from work and my text did not showup in the reply to ScoobyXJ.

anyway...my invertor is only like 300w,,,,and the compresdsor I have ordered is gonna be for the air springs only, so i's unlikely I'll have them both going at the same time.

I do plan to have a large fuse or circuit breaker at the battery connection to the fuse box, as well as a disconnect switch...just in case.

I'll be ordering the cable this week after I get a chance to estimate a proper length.....and pickup the fuse block I'm thinking of using.

I'll take plenty of pics in the process.

Hey xjjeepthing.... do you have a cover for that block?

Beast

xjjeepthing said:
I mounted one under the hood , used 4 gauge battery cable to power it and 10 gauge to all my accessories.......
Sorry to hijack here but, where did you get that fuse block? TIA, Reed

Beast XJ01 said:
weird....I posted a reply from work and my text did not showup in the reply to ScoobyXJ.

anyway...my invertor is only like 300w,,,,and the compresdsor I have ordered is gonna be for the air springs only, so i's unlikely I'll have them both going at the same time.

I do plan to have a large fuse or circuit breaker at the battery connection to the fuse box, as well as a disconnect switch...just in case.

I'll be ordering the cable this week after I get a chance to estimate a proper length.....and pickup the fuse block I'm thinking of using.

I'll take plenty of pics in the process.

Hey xjjeepthing.... do you have a cover for that block?

Beast
I have since the pictures , bought a small project box at Radio Shack and put it in the box. I got my fuse block at NAPA.

F9K9 said:
Sorry to hijack here but, where did you get that fuse block? TIA, Reed
I got mine at Advance Auto. I have found that Auto Zone carries a little bit nicer, and more stuff when it comes to wiring though.

scoobyxj said:
I got mine at Advance Auto. I have found that Auto Zone carries a little bit nicer, and more stuff when it comes to wiring though.
Thanks! I guess, I just need to ask and not walk the friggin' aisles.

Back