• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer mount

how old is your xj? i'd just replace it stock, odds are it gave you 10 years

Kind of generic experience, not XJ specific, but when you make the mounts stronger, something else snaps off.
I have installed a transfer limit strap in some of my rigs, still allows a little twist, but limits the up and down some.

jesterbomb said:
Transfer limit strap? What is that, exactly? I've run into the term before....
Kind of a scientific sounding name for something to hold the transmission and transfer down while still allowing it to twist some. I made one for my YJ, just enough tension to limit (or snub) the up and down movement some. Out of an old tow strap, a sewing machine, some rope eyes, a few bolts with big washers and some trial and error on how to run it without rubbing or interfering with anything. I've had various bad experiences with stiffer tranny or transfer mounts starting with my VW, through my W200 and my YJ. And was looking for another solution. Cracked cases, cracked adapters, bolts snapped, pedestals for the mounts broken off.
Maybe a snubber wold be a better solution, something to press down on the top some.
The motor limit straps for my last mud truck were made from chain. More like safety straps (there was some slack in the chain), than limit straps.
Believe what you will, but I was one of the first people I ever saw, put limit straps on an axle. People were real skeptical at the time.

LOL! Ya, it was a previous post of yours that i read about those straps 8Mud! I really like the idea of the safety chain on the engine to limit movement. I know these engines aren't super powerful, but I really love watching the whole car torque to one side when blipping the thottle. I can only imagine what catastrophe could potentially ensue if one did that repeatedly in certain situations.

I think the chain is a fantastic idea, especially when you consider how little cost is involved, and that those of us without access to a welder could probably make one. Is there a possibility of getting a picture?

My apologies for hi-jacking the thread BTW.

I am kind of leaning towards 8Muds first comment, about strengthening one thing will simply move the damage to another area. I haven't heard anything negative about M.O.R.E. products that I can recall, so that is an option definitely. I on the other hand, would simply replace the stock parts with stock parts. I don't believe that breaking those mounts is a very common problem, so barring a cruel fate; the next set should last for at least as long as the first set. I'm gonna look into that limit strap idea. Sounds like a great preventative measre to me.

jesterbomb said:
LOL! Ya, it was a previous post of yours that i read about those straps 8Mud! I really like the idea of the safety chain on the engine to limit movement. I know these engines aren't super powerful, but I really love watching the whole car torque to one side when blipping the thottle. I can only imagine what catastrophe could potentially ensue if one did that repeatedly in certain situations.

I think the chain is a fantastic idea, especially when you consider how little cost is involved, and that those of us without access to a welder could probably make one. Is there a possibility of getting a picture?

My apologies for hi-jacking the thread BTW.

I am kind of leaning towards 8Muds first comment, about strengthening one thing will simply move the damage to another area. I haven't heard anything negative about M.O.R.E. products that I can recall, so that is an option definitely. I on the other hand, would simply replace the stock parts with stock parts. I don't believe that breaking those mounts is a very common problem, so barring a cruel fate; the next set should last for at least as long as the first set. I'm gonna look into that limit strap idea. Sounds like a great preventative measre to me.
They mostly fail from old age, sometimes from being oil soaked for a long time. Sometimes from pounding them for miles and miles on some dirt road (heat and hard use). I'd inspect why it failed and then decide if it needed to be stronger or if OEM was good enough. Thing about off roading, people tend to push it a little farther and then a little more, as there skill level increases.
The first time you see one of your buddies shear off the motor mount bolts and the aftermath, you tend to get nervous. It doesn't take a lot of horses, just the weight of the engine, tranny and transfer, inertia and kinetic energy will do the rest.
Breaking motor mount bolts and tranny mounts is pretty common, even just trail riding. Maybe a stiffer mount isn't the answer, more durable maybe (I haven't tried M.O.R.E. products).
Funny, mud often looks smooth on the top and inertia is your friend. Until you hit that BFR just under the surface.
I seriously broke a tranny/transfer mount on my YJ, big bump, too fast and the slip yoke and driveshaft fell out. Driveshaft dug in and stopped me almost instantly. Interesting seat belt bruises from that one. We try to learn from our funk ups.
Just posting up a possible option.

Last edited:
well it seem kinda strange that 2 out of the three cherokee broke the transfer mount when we went weeling at evans creek over the 4th so just wanted to know if there was a after maket mount with poley bushings but if not well back to stock thanx

M.O.R.E. products ........ check these out, they say you feel the vibs but they are tuff.. but if i'm running down a rough road i don't think i'll feel it

Back