• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 98 – Check Engine Codes

Leo Brazil

NAXJA Forum User
I’m getting the Check Engine on all the time but apparently nothing abnormal is happening.

I’ve tried to get the error codes using the Key Trick but I just can’t do it.

I’ve tried to turn the Ignition key on while pressing the Trip Reset button, the panel just make the self test, you know, the lights blinking, the dials moving and the odometer counting 000000, 111111, 222222, until 999999 but after that it just come back to normal showing absolutely nothing….

I’ve tried also doing the on-off-on-off-on with the ignition key (considering off is not lock position and on is not start) but nothing happens at all.

Is there a trick or something I’m not doing correctly ?

Anyway, I realized that when I press the trip reset button and turn the key on and just turn the key back to off the odometer shows 2.3 Does someone know what it means ?

Thanks

I dont think you can pull the codes that way on a 98. I would just head to autozone or something similar and they will pull the codes for free

I can confirm.... ; the On/Off/On does not retrieve Check Engine codes...
You will need an OBDII scan tool to retrieve the code....
The scanners that Autozone have will also identify what the code number mean...

I don't think they have Autozone in Brazil. :laugh3:

didn't even look at where he was from my bad guess you're just gonna have to order a scan tool via the internet

If I recall, only the 97's had the key on key off trick, and they were scarce.

Best bet, get your hands on an OBD-II scanner and go from there (WELL worth the investment if you choose to buy one, and can be had for well under $100 USD).

Thanks everybody....I'm kinda of sure I'll need someone here with a scanner to pull the codes out....We don't have Autozone in Brazil but we have similar ones.
Anyway, does someone recomend a good scanner for this OBD-II ECU ?
I mean, I'm thinking about in buying one but I know some scanners are to basic, they just get and erase codes. I'm thinking about in getting a very good one, that can configure the powertrain for different tyres and gear ratios, secury keys, and so on.
Any good recomendation ?

Thanks again.

tommyr said:
The real good ones aren't cheap (think thousands)
A reader/eraser would only run you $50/$100 US.

Yes, I know. But for me here in Brazil it might be a good idea to have may be not the best one but better than reader/eraser, you know.

I can find tons of different scanners on internet but all of them seem to be too simple.

Back