• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan wiring

rockclimber24315

NAXJA Forum User
I know that this has been discussed but the last post was almost 2 years ago and this is a bit of a different topic. I am trying to convert my fans into dual electric. I also want to wire up a switch so i can turn on the fans from the inside, where is the relay for the electric fan located? so i can run a wire and switch to trip the relay?

We need to know what year you're working with here. If it's a Renix, it's along the ds inner fenderwall.

Are you looking to just gain manual control of the fans in addition to how they work now? If you're not experienced with wiring you can PM me exactly what you want to accomplish with it and I will advise you how to wire it.

A word of advice on the fan relay. While I'm not sure if all years (OBDII+) monitor the fan relay control circuit or not, but on my 2000 I could not rig up a switch (using the factory relay) to activate the fan without lighting the MIL. What I did was using a DPST relay (has NO & NC contacts) wire it so when you want factory control of the fan the current flows though the NC contact (87a), and when I want to manually turn on the fan it's gets it's power though the NO contact (87).

So the way I have it wired is,
87a = factory wire to the fan from the factory fan relay.
87 = 10AWG wire from the battery (fused @40A).
30 = To the fan
85 = Ground.
86 = Switch inside (fused @ as small a fuse I can find usually 5A).

EDIT: If you also want manual "All Off" control (for crossing water) use a second DPST relay to cut the ground from the fan. Wiring the - (ground lead from the fan) to 30, and the ground to 87a. I would use a momentary switch to activate the "All Off" circuit (so you can't accidentally leave them off). For two fans just add a second set of relays to control the second fan.

Last edited:
Back