• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible TPS Problem

Daddycajun117

NAXJA Forum User
OK here it is...

OK Checked the voltages. Reading from pin D with neg to pin A with Pos. The voltage was somewhere around 4.632. Moved to terminal A and saw a voltage of 4.5** which is not 82% it is much more. 82 % would be somewhere in the range of 3.7... I also tried to adjust the TPS and it did not effect the voltages very much. only about +/- .2 volts. Should it adjust more.

Also measured across the other connector with and found I have .99 volts not the .80 to .82 like I am supposed to. Could not get it to adjust any further down.

Messed with the TV throttle Down and did not make a difference downshifting.

I am still shifting real fast.

My son had a '89 Pioneer about a year ago and the TPS went bad...caused all kinds of crazy "transmission problems". Sometimes it would try to start out in 3rd gear, while other times it wouldn't ever shift out of 1st gear. Drove me nuckin' futs trying to figure it out...until I replaced the TPS, then all was well again. Kinda sucks laying out $75 for a part when you're not 100% sure of the problem I know, but your symptoms sound alot like the ones I dealt with. Good luck and let us know what you find out...

NC C3 said:
My son had a '89 Pioneer about a year ago and the TPS went bad...caused all kinds of crazy "transmission problems". Sometimes it would try to start out in 3rd gear, while other times it wouldn't ever shift out of 1st gear. Drove me nuckin' futs trying to figure it out...until I replaced the TPS, then all was well again. Kinda sucks laying out $75 for a part when you're not 100% sure of the problem I know, but your symptoms sound alot like the ones I dealt with. Good luck and let us know what you find out...

75 dollars it is more like 90.00 after taxes and stuff. That is the cheapest I found it. Without shopping on Ebay...

Well...glad you got it figured out. Like I told myself afterwards..."You're that much smarter now!" :D

Back