• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from the gas tank

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
ok well this is going to sound really weird but, I think there is somthing going on inside my gas tank. every so often (and much more frequently when the tank is low) I can hear what sounds like bubbles that sounds like its gas tank. The only thing I can compare it to is its almost like the sound an over flow tank makes when the jeep is overheating (and its not over heating the temp is right where it should be). This is really puzzleing me because I dunno how safe it is if the gas tank is doing odd stuff, and I am also worried that what ever it is might starve the fuel pump. The Fuel Pump is as old as the jeep, and has been out of the tank at least once.

It may well be bubbles. The fuel return line empties right next to the pick up tube. If you can hear gas swirling around the tank over the sound of the pump, you are in pretty good shape.

If the pump gets louder, it's cavitating due to low fuel or percolation.

i have a sound kind of like that in my 98. its only after i turn it off and it sounds like a gargaling type creeking noise... posibly bubbliling sounding. i just tell everyone that asks that i have a pet living in there...

yes this happens in my 98. f i remember right it is due to the float moving up and down as the gas settles from moving. i hear it at different gas tank levels in my jeep. not hurting anything. the origninal pump/filrt combo went bad and had it replaced with OEM pump which also makes the noises ya'll described

Since the fuel return line was eliminated 96+, then the only other thing it most likely is related to is the EVAP system and the fuel cap equalizing pressure in the tank--in other words it is NORMAL.

Back