• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater hose valve

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
Is this thing really needed? WTF does it do, besides break and burn the sh!t out of your arm?

Id like to just bypass it with some longer heater hose, or make something similar out of brass, without the valve. Thanks in advance.

100_4173.jpg

100_4181.jpg

Well, if you want heat it's needed. The valve adjusts so that you can have no coolant going to the heater core, some, or a lot. When you adjust the amount of heat, the butterfly valve opens/closes. If you don't need heat, you don't need the valve.

mjma said:
Well, if you want heat it's needed. The valve adjusts so that you can have no coolant going to the heater core, some, or a lot. When you adjust the amount of heat, the butterfly valve opens/closes. If you don't need heat, you don't need the valve.
Not true, you will have just as good or better heat if you get rid of it. The only reason it was put in the system is to help aid in the A/Cs job of cooling. There have been many people on here who have A/C that have bypassed their's and have been just fine. 97+ Cherokees didn't have one, and many suspect the heater cores will last longer since they have coolant constantly flowing through them rather than sitting. I've bypassed several and have noticed better heat. I'd say bypass it and don't look back, however if you do, make sure you plug the vac line that used to run to it. If you want to do it properly, get 97+ heater hoses, then you'll only have two full length heater hoses. Take it for what it's worth.

Actually you can just plug the hoses right in to the heater core and do away with the heater valve altogether. The newer models (after 95-96) have an internal stop. The older ones you'd just be running coolant thru the core 24/7.

Or...the new valve is only $25...should last a couple years at least.

Same thing happend to my Heater Control Valve, only mine didn't burn the shit out of my arm. I was doing a quick tune-up and moved the heater hoses out of my way to access #5 spark plug when a gush of warm coolant spewed all over. So i drove back to Autozone and got a new one, problem solved!!!

Mbjeep91 said:
Same thing happend to my Heater Control Valve, only mine didn't burn the shit out of my arm. I was doing a quick tune-up and moved the heater hoses out of my way to access #5 spark plug when a gush of warm coolant spewed all over. So i drove back to Autozone and got a new one, problem solved!!!

I JUST DID THAT TODAY

reefed on the wire, slipped, *snap* out pisses coolant :flamemad:

I just did mine, here's a pic. Got my info from "jess" it was really simple: 3 feet each of 5/8" and 3/4" heater hose, used the same clamps and just cut out the valve.
heaterhose.jpg

Back