• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 setup, does this look right??

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm half way done installing my 8.8, does anyone see any probs with the shocks mounted like this? The pics were taken at ride height with the trucks weight on the springs. I'm prob going to need to get some shorter shocks, I'll know when I get it flexed out. I'm going to fully weld everything and plate the bottom and the top of the mounts when there done.

For those that want to know, I just cut the dana 35 mounts off and turned them over.

Now I need to pull it again so I can drill the holes for the ubolt eliminators.

The rectangle tubing is 5X3 1/4 wall by the way.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/ponyracer/?sc=1&multi=5&addtype=local&media=image

No, it won't work.

Your Ubolts will not have the clearance they need. The shock mount will be in the way. I did basically the same thing when building mine. I had to cut the shock mounts off and move them over too.:D So, you're not the only one. I recommend moving the shock mounts up to the center of the axle tube. You are bound to get hung up on those hanging down like they are.

Heres a pic of my 8.8 ubolt/shock set up. It is a drummed 8.8 but the same applies.

100_1954.jpg

HTH

Guess I can't read. Missed the ubolt eliminators comment. I still would move it over and put it in the center of the axle tube.

Last edited:
ponyracer1 said:
I'm half way done installing my 8.8, does anyone see any probs with the shocks mounted like this? The pics were taken at ride height with the trucks weight on the springs. I'm prob going to need to get some shorter shocks, I'll know when I get it flexed out. I'm going to fully weld everything and plate the bottom and the top of the mounts when there done.

For those that want to know, I just cut the dana 35 mounts off and turned them over.

Now I need to pull it again so I can drill the holes for the ubolt eliminators.

The rectangle tubing is 5X3 1/4 wall by the way.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/ponyracer/?sc=1&multi=5&addtype=local&media=image

Nice ride! Anyway, excuse my ignorance here but why eliminate the u-bolts? I've done several on spring-under Jeeps where they hung down. I'm probably missing something, why on spring-overs? :confused:

Ron

Looks okay, but if you raise the mount to the axle centerline and move them (to where they are inboard of the perch), you'll have both more clearance and you can run a shorter shock (or the shocks you have now).
Just do it like Haleyes and many others, including myself, have done.

Thanks for the replys, I'm doing ubolt eliminators frankly becaause it's free and I'm to cheap and don't have the time to order a new set of ubolts from the states. It takes a minimum of a week, usually more like 2 to get stuff here to england.

I ordered the adapter from MORE to install the driveshaft and I'm just waiting on it to show up so I can check the pinion angle before welding it up.

881.jpg

With a spring pad that wide you may want to add a center gusset to keep it from collapsing over time.
Something similar to this.

100_1529.jpg
Other than that looks good.....

Back