• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I change the sway bar link kit

ConnorMann

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

The shop says my 93 xj needs 2 sway bar link kits because they are broken. Need to remove and replace stabilizer bar end links. Also replace the steering dampener. Is this something I can do myself with a torch and big hammer?

Where can I get the parts. the jeep is bone stock. oh they want $371 to do the job

Thanks in advance for any advice

Connor

Last edited:
yes you can do it. It is a nut on the top and a bolt through the bottom. I believe the bolt is a torx head bolt and the nut on the top is a 9/16 I think, maybe a 1/2". The steering dampner is also just a bolt on item. The worst thing you might encounter is a seized bolt or the shaft that holds up one end of the dampner. It is still an easy job you can do in your driveway.

You can get at those with some basic tools. If you go with OEM type parts they should be pretty cheap. You could go with disconnects and high end stabalizer and still spend less.

Biggest possible problem will be stuck or corroded bolts. PB blast them a few days in advance.

The supposedly Torx bolts in the swaybar axle mount are NOT BOLTS. Some genius at AMC/Chrysler decided it would be fun to put a Torx head on a splined, pressed-in piece. Use a puller to remove it, or cut the head and 'bolt' off, then punch the remaining donut out. Wire brush and paint, then mount a set of proper swaybar disconnects.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

There are A LOT of manufacturers for steering stabilizers...

Rancho, ProComp, Monroe are to name just a few... Most of these can be purchased online.....
The installation will only require a few basic tools... combination wrench, PB Blaster or Kroil (penetrant), pliers, and maybe a dead blow hammer....

Swaybar links/disconnects can be purchased from JKS and Rubicon Express to name just a few.... If you vehicle is of stock height... then purchase a set that can be used for 0-3" lift.... OR.... You might get lucky and find one of the members that has the stock swaybar links laying around after installing the aftermarket swaybar disconnects...
Check the For Sale section in the different NAXJA Chapters for this forum...

If you are going to do it pick up a set of JKS quicker disconnects, rustys has them, $130 for the set, jack jeep up, remove front tires, if the disconnects are broken, seperated, remove the sway bar, remove the nut from the top of the seperated link, lay it on something solid like a curb and hit it with a 5lb sledge, that piece is taperd. Then just unbolt the bottom from where it connect to the wheel area. I just did one of my TJ's last week, a 97, and that torx bolt was a bolt, it screwed out. Should only take a couple of hours.
As for the steering stablizer, I had mine installed, the stocker would not come out for anything and I was starting to damage myself under there with hammers, chisels, forks, etc. I had a shop get that out, the new one was not tapered so that comes out pretty easy now.

If you are just going stock, any parts store can get the links and stabilizer. I know NAPA has them. Links will run about $20 for the pair. Stabilizer maybe $30.

2# hammer works wonders.

Or, you can upgrade, per the previous posts.

Back