• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bendix ABS -> standard brakes - they work!

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
Over the weekend I yanked all of the bendix garbage out of my '89 Limited, and replaced it with the standard braking system out of a '96 that I bought as a donor. The brakes work great, but I have a few problems I still need to rectify.

1. No brake lights. I'm not sure where the brake light switch was on the Bendix setup. In my experience, brake light switches have always been down at the pedal, but both of the switches I disconnected from there I also put back on in the process of doing the swap.

2. The truck goes fine in reverse, but the transmission slips when I try to drive it forwards. I recall reading something about some sort of switch for torque converter lockup, but I have no idea where this switch was on the ABS setup, or where it's supposed to be now. I read about this switch in this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12967

I'm going to post a writeup in a few days with pictures and procedures, in the hopes that it may make this swap easier for the next person.

Thanks for your help!

Gots to say it. Check the fuse, bulbs? Recheck the plugs all of them under the dash. A little contact cleaner never hurt a thing too.

maalox said:
Over the weekend I yanked all of the bendix garbage out of my '89 Limited, and replaced it with the standard braking system out of a '96 that I bought as a donor. The brakes work great, but I have a few problems I still need to rectify.

1. No brake lights. I'm not sure where the brake light switch was on the Bendix setup. In my experience, brake light switches have always been down at the pedal, but both of the switches I disconnected from there I also put back on in the process of doing the swap. . .

The brake light switch should be in the same location - near the top of the brake pedal lever. When the lever goes down, the switch comes out and turns on the brake lights - there is not much movement up there. As I recall it is a pressure fit through the mounting bracket, and it does NOT get pushed in until it bottoms out - if you've messed with it, it's probably pushed in too far, and isn't sensing the pedal movement.

Back