• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Turboed

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
ive heard that people hve put a homebrew turbo on their Cherokee 4.0. im a little skeptical about it, but is it true? i know there's a kit for superchargers, but what about the turbo idea. anyone ever heard of the homebrew turbo thing?

could you expalin the terminology please. turbo map?

ive also seen kits where you can add a centrifugal supercharger to the 4.0, but at $2200, its a little outta my price range. do you think i could find a car that has a factory centrifuga lsupercharger and modify it to fit my 4.0? :eeks1:

Last edited:
It's a graph that represents the airflow of the turbo. Check out turbomustangs.com if you're interested in this sort of thing, some good FAQ's to get you on the right path. I've never built a turbo system myself, but it looks like all you really need is a modified exhaust manifold, turbo and oil lines, intake plumbing (intercooler if you want one), beefed up fuel system, and an FMU if you want to use the stock computer. An FMU is referenced to intake vacuum/ boost and ramps fuel pressure to the injectors as boost comes on. A programmable standalone fuel system is better but lots more bucks. Then of course you either need a wideband O2 setup to monitor air/ fuel ratio or have it dyno tuned with a/f monitoring.

Check out turbomustangs, lots of info there.

where in the hell are you going to mount an intercooler on the front of an xj?

May I suggest a Kenne Bell supercharger instead? Very efficient and won't require an intercooler. I don't think there is a specific kit available but it should require less fab work than a turbo.

streetpirate said:
where in the hell are you going to mount an intercooler on the front of an xj?

cowl hood top mount intercooler

jeeperjohn said:
May I suggest a Kenne Bell supercharger instead? Very efficient and won't require an intercooler. I don't think there is a specific kit available but it should require less fab work than a turbo.
I wouldnt go that route if u are tryin to do a lowbuck homebrew cause the kenne bells can get pricey.

I have seen one XJ with a turbo and read about another on some forum. Both owners complained about oil starvation on the #6 cyl and the guy in the forum lost his first motor due to this problem.

Beej said:
This thread should be in the Street/Performance forum with all the others on boost...

i dunno about you but i wouldn't mind a little extra power and torque on the trail here and there. might belong in the adv engineering section though.

the turbo map is the same thing as a pump curve is to pumps. relates flow rate and change in pressure. looks something like this generally. just gotta relate the system curve, so how the engine behaves to the pump curve. the hard part is determining the system curve cuz we have little to go on.

compressormap1.gif

winkosmosis said:
Cheaper and more effective to buy a 300hp Camaro

When do you ever need more than 195hp on the trail?

On the trail? I don't. But I sure would like more than the 225 lb-ft of torque for the trail.

I'd like more HP for sand and mud too.

I been exploring this idea too. I have looked at the 505 kit closley and their fuel management system is actually a hesco part. You can buy a turbo with a internal waste gate like the one used in the 505 kit realitivly cheap. Watch out for the a/r ratio though. Tubing prebent is available as are the flanges. Whala a little fab work and you have a turbo.
What about using a water cooled intercooler. Still that is one crowded engine compartment> I am still looking for a place to mount my arb compressor!

Back