• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Brakes - Fair price?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after talking to the dealerships and junkyards around here I decided to try Craigslist. Lo and behold, somebody rolled his '95 ZJ and wants to part it out...
I'm planning to drive to Salt Lake tomorrow and relieve him of the brake assembly - all of it.
Are there any smaller parts or oddball bits I should make sure to grab? I'm thinking backing plates / mounting brackets / calipers / rotors / parking brake assembly / parking brake cable. New pads, get the rotors turned, inspect the calipers. Anything else? Any advice to make life easier?
How much money is fair to give the guy? I don't have a terrific frame of reference - junkyards wanted to sell me a whole axle, dealerships want 125$ per mounting bracket...
Thanks.

I got backing plates which have the mounting brackets built in, the calipers with bolts, brake lines and E brake cables for 50 bucks from the junk yard. I also grabbed the studs that hold the backing plate on since it is thicker than the stock backing plate. The e brake cables didn't work because one was too long and one was too short so I cut the ends of the zj cables and drilled out the centers, cut the ends off the xj cable , filled the zj ends with jb weld then stuck the xj cable in the zj ends.

Thanks much.
As for the parking brake - I know this is a newbie question - but...
From looking at the few pictures and diagrams I've found, it looks like the parking brake is a cable-actuated miniature drum brake that contacts the brake rotor inside of the "shoulder" section - right?
So if I snag the backing plate w/ cable (or at least cable ends) and calipers + rotors, the parking brake assembly should be left intact on the backing plate and it should work just fine if I only reattach the cables somehow... correct?
Have mercy, folks... I'm from the DC area.

Back