• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck CAD.

QRMTVI

NAXJA Forum User
Whats a good resolution to a stuck CAD? Not interested in a replacement kit as Ive seen, Im looking for an OEM fix please.

Thanks,
Andrew

Central Axel Disconnect, on the front D30. Its what engages or disengages the chunk from the axels. Mine I think is stuck in the engaged position.

Andrew

opening it is probably the easiest way of determining what is broken... have you checked all your vac lines... especialy the plug that all three plug into on the shift motor. they tend to get gummed up and rotted very easily. I pulled the plug completly off of mine and just used a few inches of rubber gas line to connect each one to the corresponding device.

I looked back and here is some more info
white- actuates light on dash
green-disconects
yellow-engages

also shift out of 4wd. reach under to the front drive shaft. if it is truly the CAD then the drive shaft should be able to rotate freely

Last edited:
Thanks wis... Good info there.

Im not 100% familiar with the CAD system, though I know the basics.

Ill check the front DS and see if it is indeed free or locked up.

The vehicle is in 2WD now, but I can tell the front axle is still locked by the way it does on sharp turns at low speeds. I am 99% sure it is, without checking it.

Ill have to check the vac lines and THEN check the fork. I think I got a book with an exploited view for it. :) That should come in handy.

Last question, how does the vac system work? Which is it:

1) with vac applied, front is engaged
2) with vac NOT applied, front is engaged

That will help me out a lot to know which way it should be.

Thanks much guys, you rock!
Andrew

The vac motor is either on or off... that said when the vac is applied via disconnect hose the motor pulls the shift fork over pulling the lock collar off the center axle to unlock the axle(and remains as such even if vac is lost) to lock the axle the motor does the same only the shift fork pushes the collar over to mate the "inner and outer" shafts. once locked if vac is lost the axle will remain locked.
if you have a vac guage you can verify that the vac system is infact sending vac to the shift motor. also once you take motor and housing off of the axle you can use a vac pump to actuate the shift motor and visualy verify that the system is operational.
I beleive that the dodge dakota used this same set up, but came with a steel or iron shift fork that is stronger than the stock aluminum one that ours came with

my 91 d30 doesent h ave it...but i have this sensor on top of my tc someone said thats for the cad....if i dont use it can i still use that tc?

i have a thread started but nobody answered it....

Back