• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31x10.5s on stock XJ wheels

JMooring

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at putting Firestone Destination M/Ts in a size 31x10.5 on my stock XJ rims in addition to installing a 3" Rough Country suspension lift. Does this sound like a good idea? Will everything fit? Someone with experience please clue me in! This is my first time owning a Jeep and I don't want to mess anything up.

they'll rub the LCA's

use a washer or two behind the steering stops, you'll sacrifice some turning radius, but that will stop you from chunking your tires on the lca's.

that or get some WJ LCAs, they have a bend in them for tire clearance. Minor modification of the frame side bushing is required.

thanks for the quick response, 87manche. do 31s fill out nicely with a 3" lift? also, do you have any recommendations for a budget 3" lift kit? I was looking at the Rough Country kit but I've heard bad things about the ride quality

My rough country rides just fine, i enjoy mine, but you can spend all your monet if you want.. Some people just don't like r c lifts, just like sun glasses, i only wear ray bans, lol

JMooring said:
thanks for the quick response, 87manche. do 31s fill out nicely with a 3" lift? also, do you have any recommendations for a budget 3" lift kit? I was looking at the Rough Country kit but I've heard bad things about the ride quality

here's 31's on a 3.5 RE on stock wheels. They fill out pretty nicely, would be perfect if the lift were half an inch lower.

HPIM1885.jpg

just don't do anything with blocks, and spring for a full leaf pack if you can afford it. The AAL will wear out quickly, and ride like poo.

nice picture, IslanderOffRoad. those do fill out nicely even on a 3.5" lift. do you like your RE lift? I was looking into their lifts as well

JMooring said:
nice picture, IslanderOffRoad. those do fill out nicely even on a 3.5" lift. do you like your RE lift? I was looking into their lifts as well

I love it. Spent the extra cash for the superflex with the full leaf packs, great lift. I used the RE twin tube shocks, I don't reccomend those.

I also went with the RE 3.5 SF w/ 31 mt's . I think it is great, flexes and stuffs great. I got mine from JeepinOutfitters.com. I got free DT3000's (they ride like poo). Once I get extra cash I will get OME or Bilsteins. For now tho I can live with the DT3000's

My 3 in budget boost works great. 31s rubbed until I got new wheels. Needed less back spacing than stock wheels. Now only rubs when I really get it in a bind.

if you can't swing it now go AAL, but plan on replacing the packs in a year.
Also, depending on how sagged your rear end is now, you may not get the full lift.

the rear end isn't sagged at all, it actually looks really good for being 7 years old and stock. so you figure I can get about a year of riding out of the AAL before I should consider a "real" kit? has anyone heard anything about the RE 3.5" SR kit? Also, transfer case. What is it? How do I know what model my XJ has? And is it safe to assume that my 2000 XJ has the Dana 35 axle?

I just put on an RE 3.5 full pack SR kit. Running 33x10.5s on an '88 . No trimming or rubbing yet on the street driving. I am sure the trail will be a different story.

Planning spacers and shackles to level it out and pick up an extra inch or so.

Sorry no pics.

JMooring said:
Did you replace your shocks? If so, what did you go with? How's the ride quality overall?

If that is directed at me...I went new OME shocks when I put the lift kit on.

Yes, replace your shocks. If you want a quality ride, buy Old Man Emu or Bilstein. If you want something cheap, buy something cheap. I know from experience that Rancho RS5000's and Skyjackers feel similiar while driving and are reasonably priced. They are a little rough around the potholes and manhole covers though.

Back