• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in 4wd

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
OK, I'm exhausted from working on my Jeep all weekend in 90+ heat with high humidity, so I may not be thinking too straight right now.....

but I got my Jeep put back together finally, when when I went to take it for a spin, the damn thing will not get out of 4wd.

When I had the TC out, I installed a PORC HD SYE and Tera 2Lo....both of which I've installed before a couple of times with no problems.

My linkage seems to be adjusted fine, and I am able to go thru all 5 positions. I get high range in 2 positions, neutral, and low range in 2 positions.....but it will not come out of 4wd.

I know I'm going to havce to tear it apart again (probably tomorrow evening) to see what is wrong, but anyone have an idea what I should look for?

Not to belabor the obvious, but did you check to see if the t-case linkage is connected? I've had the little plastic do-hickies fail, and I've had the adjustment nut come out so the rod was moving freely in the adjuster.

Fred

I had that problem with mine once. With the shifter in 2wd I got under and pushed the linkage, it only took just about a 1/4 inch bump more by hand to get it into 2wd. The bushing the lever axis rides on attached to the body was shot and it was off by just that much. You may have already tried this but just a thought.

jakepac said:
I had that problem with mine once. With the shifter in 2wd I got under and pushed the linkage, it only took just about a 1/4 inch bump more by hand to get it into 2wd. The bushing the lever axis rides on attached to the body was shot and it was off by just that much. You may have already tried this but just a thought.

I shifted manually under the vehicle as well, with the same results. There is definitely a problem in the TC

I had that problem the first time I did a SYE on my 91. Ended up I had installed the shift collar upside down, which didn't allow it to go fully into 2wd.

When I rebuilt mine, I had a similar problem. it turned out a snap ring on the front side of the main shaft had not snapped into the groove and the gearset was sliding on the shaft. Took me a while to find that one.

did you have to trim the shift rail for the SYE tailcone?

that caught me up once...

Back