• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Bumper, trim fenders?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
i'm building a bumper similar to this for my XJ. anyone have pics of how much they trimed the front fenders where the bumper will be? I want alot of clearence up there but want it to look decent. thanks guys!!!
mattbumper.jpg

what year XJ? planning on keeping the fenders or no?

one thing I would think about with a tube bumper like that is how much "unfinished" stuff will be exposed. i was originally thinking of doing a tube, but now I'm glad I didn't because of what it would leave exposed compared to a solid bumper. guess it's all opinion and the look you're going for, but thought I'd mention it. on an XJ it definitely won't look as "intentional" as it does that truck.

its a 98 XJ. i looked a guy's Xj that had a 2" square bumper/step just under the grill and i dont think what i want will look to bad on my jeep. i'm just going 31's and 3-4" this go round so i'll be keeping the flares and not doing much trimming other than where the bumper will be. i can always go back and change it if i dont like it. i'm gonna put my highlift mount on the bumper too so it wont be identical to that.

I did not trim my fenders because I was told that the front air dam was needed to prevent overheating. If that is the case I need the fender edges to support the air dam.

There is no trimming required on 97+ XJ's!

mikeforte said:
I did not trim my fenders because I was told that the front air dam was needed to prevent overheating. If that is the case I need the fender edges to support the air dam.
Boo crap!

Hmm, I haven't been running the airdam for over a year now, and the only heating problems I have is because my radiator is clogged, and my coolant it brown.

But a small piece of plastic like that isn't going to direct all the air into the radiator, it won't make a difference.

Begster said:
Hmm, I haven't been running the airdam for over a year now, and the only heating problems I have is because my radiator is clogged, and my coolant it brown.

But a small piece of plastic like that isn't going to direct all the air into the radiator, it won't make a difference.
Glad to hear that Begster. I'll get to work on that with the cutoff wheel. Probably look a lot better without that thing hanging under there.

You have a '98, just go and take a punch to those rivet things under there, and just pull the airdam off. Its a hell of a lot less work, and you don't have to wory about cutting straight.

you should not have to trim the finders at all to build the bumper, you can look at mine someday if you want to see how it was made and blots up. Just PM me to let me know if you want to see it

Mojojojo, that looks extremely clean. I've been trying to figure out what to do with my fenders as well. If I have to cut them, I want to make it as clean as possible. Same goes for the rear. How do I take off my front bumper anyway, with the bumperettes and all?

Back