• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adhesive joints vs. welding

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Heard some that body shops are using some adhesives to join body panels, rather then welding. What stuff are they using and is it that good? Thinking of gluing some stuff together rather then welding.

I've seen some adhesive kits for non-structural repairs, and I've been considering something like that for when I eliminate my sunroof. I'd not use it for anything structural (like pillar repairs or major shear panel replacement,) but for filling in quarter panels, roof panels, or door skins? Probably damn near perfect.

Be sure to get a flanging tool tho - makes for a nice, clean repair.

SEM makes a line of professional body working adhesives. It works great on panel work. It cuts out the warping from welding and is actually stronger.

Excellent question. I've often wonder what could be done with adhesives that I have been previously unaware about.

http://automotive.henkel.com/Products/Adhesives/

I remember seeing something on tv about glueing on car doors. It seemed amazing that an adhesive could be used in such a capacity and reliably.

I've got a van with a sagging door (lower hinge seems to have come loose) and wouldn't mind trying an adhesive repair instead of throwing a couple hundred at a body shop. Only going to have the van for another couple years.

If anyone has any ideas about auto adhesives I'd love to hear more.

I have used SEM, Lord Fusor, and Duramix. As stated above, they are for NON structural panels (ie roof skins, door skins, bed sides, and quarter panels). I love the stuff saves me a lot of time. And they are stronger then spot welding if used properly.

This might work well then for sealing up the rear wheel wells when trimming them out and capping the rear quarter panel.

Eventually I would like to try some of the structural stuff out and see how it holds up.

Weasel said:
This might work well then for sealing up the rear wheel wells when trimming them out and capping the rear quarter panel.

Eventually I would like to try some of the structural stuff out and see how it holds up.

We use it on wheelwells all the time. Great for corrosion protection.

Back