• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with 3" lift?

your profile says you got a 96, which means a chrystler 8.25? which means you will need a slip yoke eliminator..... you just doubled your cost of lifting....

3¨ lift kits usually include:
new front coils
new rear leafs (add-a-leafs arent recommended, but people do run them)
new lower control arms,
new shocks
some way of dealing with the front sway bar, like extended end links, or relocation brackets (the relocation brackets that come with cheaper lifts DO INTERFERE with the oem front skid plate....)

i would determine what axle you have in the rear first....

On my 01 XJ Im at 4" of lift 3" BDS plus a 1" shackle and 1" spacer useing a T-Case drop and the shackle angle no problems.

I had installed a 3"RC lift to my 1999XJ.The kit I got had front springs,ALL LCA,shocks.What was needed was some shims which RC sent free!Before going with a ALL,check the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender on the rear tire.It should be 17".That way you will know if your springs are bad or still good.Oh,the front should be 17.5".

fishfighter said:
I had installed a 3"RC lift to my 1999XJ.The kit I got had front springs,ALL LCA,shocks.What was needed was some shims which RC sent free!Before going with a ALL,check the distance from the center of the wheel to the fender on the rear tire.It should be 17".That way you will know if your springs are bad or still good.Oh,the front should be 17.5".

Center of wheel to bottom of fender flair.

Basically....just play it by ear....but go ahead and budget for more stuff you'll have to buy.

No two Jeeps react the same to lifts. I ran into some lovely little driveline vibes and horrible death wobble, with only a 3" budget boost on my 99. A 1" transfer case drop just about solved all of my vibes (still have a few, but it's definitely tolerable for right now, and nothing some shims can't fix). You shouldn't need an SYE, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if it came down to that.

Also...I would recomend you get an adjustable trac bar (unless you get a kit that comes with one, or a heavy duty one designed for whatever kit you're getting). 3" is about all the stock one can handle...and even then you'd have to drill a new hole in the mounting bracket to get the front axle to line up properly. I am running the JKS one, and i'm still up in the air as to if I like it or not....have to see if I can get the damn thing to stop popping to make my decision.

If you stay 3"...stock control arms shouldn't be a problem...provided they're in good shape, along with the rest of your front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints...etc etc). I'm currently running the stock control arms (both upper and lower) and stock everything else on the front end, minus the trac bar of course, and a HD steering stabilizer (which if you start to get front end wobbles, I would consider upgrading...they're not that expensive for a decent one).

Like I said.....just gotta lift it and see what happens. Some lift theirs sky high with no problems, and others start running into issues at 2-3" (as was my case).

edit: don't forget longer u-bolts for the rear axle!

Well here is what I planned one for the kit:
TC drop 1"
New front coils/rear leafs
track bar
extended brake lines
new control arms
longer u boltss
Shocks

AS for the shims...where?

What about sway bar disconnects?

99XJSPORT06 said:
Also...I would recomend you get an adjustable trac bar (unless you get a kit that comes with one, or a heavy duty one designed for whatever kit you're getting). 3" is about all the stock one can handle...and even then you'd have to drill a new hole in the mounting bracket to get the front axle to line up properly. I am running the JKS one, and i'm still up in the air as to if I like it or not....have to see if I can get the damn thing to stop popping to make my decision.

If you stay 3"...stock control arms shouldn't be a problem...provided they're in good shape, along with the rest of your front end components (tie rod ends, ball joints...etc etc). I'm currently running the stock control arms (both upper and lower) and stock everything else on the front end, minus the trac bar of course, and a HD steering stabilizer (which if you start to get front end wobbles, I would consider upgrading...they're not that expensive for a decent one).

Like I said.....just gotta lift it and see what happens. Some lift theirs sky high with no problems, and others start running into issues at 2-3" (as was my case).

edit: don't forget longer u-bolts for the rear axle!

what do you mean popping?

(FYI FUNROVER: i have longer control arms and a heady duty track bar for sale, $200 shipped for all 3, they are perfect for your 3-3.5" lift kit)

selarep said:
i have longer control arms and a heady duty track bar for sale, $200 shipped for all 3

don't mean to hi-jack, but what brand? condition? if funrover's not interested, pm me with pics (if you want, anyway)

selarep said:
what do you mean popping?
I mean loud popping....like the ball inside is about to snap to pieces any minute and fail on me. I called JKS and spoke with one of the guys there and he told me to take it off and put it in a vice, and move it around....as it sounds like to him the grease isn't making it to where it should be. So that's on this weekend's "to do list".....but so far, it hasn't made any more noise since I last greased it Friday.....so we'll see. The guy at JKS said he hasn't seen one of these fail yet when I inquired about the rebuild kit....so i'll have to see how it goes.

FWIW Funrover, You might can get by with the stock brake lines if you go 3". I havent touched mine and dont have any problems....atleast not yet...LOL. If you do decide to upgrade, look into getting some YJ brake lines from Napa.....good way to save some money.

Back