• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Cruise control to a 99

MisterFubar

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 99XJ Sport and it does not have cruise control. I know to add cruise control I'll need a steering wheel with the controls, and the cruise control servo and bracket. Is there anything else I am not thinking of? I'm still waiting on the FSM's i ordered to show up so I figured I'd ask here as I'm planning a trip to the PnP this weekend.

I'm guessing that all the associated body wiring is there, but if it's not I don't mind wiring it up myself.

I know I could go with an aftermarket cruise control, but if I can pull the OEM parts for less than 50 bucks...

What am I not thinking of?

Thanks for the link. 289 bucks isn't bad at all for everything, but I need an excuse to go parts pulling. I'll keep them in mind if I don't have any luck at the junkyards.

I bought one of the kits from Jeeps Are Us just a few weeks ago. It included everything I needed and the installation instructions were clear. The only difficulty I encountered was that the included servo mounting screws were larger than the holes in the vehicle, so I had to drill them just a bit larger (not easy when there's AC plumbing, wiring harnesses and a fuse box in the way).

If you go junkyard hunting here's what you need:

*Cruise control servo assembly (servo and attached cable, make sure to take the vacuum hoses as well)
*Clockspring assembly (located behind the steering wheel, the one for cruise systems has an extra wire)
*Left and right cruise control switches ('99-'01 are not interchangeable with '97-'98). You can re-use your old steering wheel.
*Y-cable that goes between the swiches and the clockspring

Last edited:
Bzamora said:
If you go junkyard hunting here's what you need:

*Cruise control servo assembly (servo and attached cable, make sure to take the vacuum hoses as well)
*Clockspring assembly (located behind the steering wheel, the one for cruise systems has an extra wire)
*Left and right cruise control switches ('99-'01 are not interchangeable with '97-'98). You can re-use your old steering wheel.
*Y-cable that goes between the swiches and the clockspring

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. :patriot:

I was planning on pulling a complete steering column just to get in and out of the JU a little quicker, that and I may have another use for the column on another project.

I'll do a full write up on it when I get around to doing it.

Bzamora said:
I bought one of the kits from Jeeps Are Us just a few weeks ago. It included everything I needed and the installation instructions were clear.
i am considering purchasing this same kit. does the steering-wheel controls really come out looking 'factory'?

keep0njeepin0n said:
I thought about the kit from jeepsareus.com but I am too afraid of the airbag blowing up in my face....do you have to actually remove the steering wheel?
Yes you need to remove the steering wheel. If you follow the instructions you won't have to worry about the airbag.

keep0njeepin0n said:
Can the steering wheel be removed without a puller?

I managed the one in the boneyard and also the one on my 99 without a puller when I added cruise to mine. A considerable amount of up and down, right and left force was required, but they both gave up after a few minutes of work. Make sure the steering wheel controls are from a 99 or 00. The others look the same but I was told by reliable sources here that they will not work.

keep0njeepin0n said:
I thought about the kit from jeepsareus.com but I am too afraid of the airbag blowing up in my face....do you have to actually remove the steering wheel?

Just disconnect the battery and go have lunch for 20-30 minutes and you'll be OK.

Since people are talking about cruise control servos I'd like to pop in a quick question. I've been having trouble with my '99 not holding the cruise set speed. It sets... but after a minute or two it begins to gently accellerate without any input. A bit scary. I've checked the vac lines (one was broken; repaired but problem persists).

I'm curious if a typical '99 speed control servo is supposed to have these little holes in the "can" of the unit:
SpeedServoDetail.jpg

IMG%5D
At first I thought it was corrosion or some strange damage... but now I suspect they're vents. Can someone confirm this unit appears nominal?
Thanks - Duke000088
duke000088

I don't know if the holes are supposed to be there or not although they look like wear points to me.

Jumping to the chase why don't you put a piece of duct tape over them and see what happens to your problem?

Wellz - I came very close to plugging them up with JB Weld last week. But I just got back from the parts counter at the dealership - the holes are on the new OEM servo as well. Guess they are a vent or something. Popping the new servo on tonight... crossing fingers....

I swapped out my servo (sometimes referred to as the bellows... which it essential is) and fixed my cruise control issue (a couple posts up). My servo was fairly corroded up... it didn't seem to actuate as smoothly as the new Mopar one I picked up at the dealer. $45 and smooth sailing.

Duke000088

I still haven't got around to putting cruise on my jeep yet. I did pick up a servo the one time I was able to find the right year at the PnP, but the column was gone so the servo was all I got.

It would have been nice when I put 1300 miles on it in one day last month, but I normally try not to drive my jeep when something else in the fleet is available, it's just not a very comfortable or enjoyable vehicle to drive.

I purchased the setup from Jeepsareus and installed it today. everything went fairly well. I went ahead and got a steering wheel puller, well worth the $15 !!! the only issue I had was I had to to use sheetmetal self tapping screws to mount the actuator part. My 99 did not have any holes that matched up with the braket that came with the kit.

gray_penguin said:
I purchased the setup from Jeepsareus and installed it today. everything went fairly well. I went ahead and got a steering wheel puller, well worth the $15 !!! the only issue I had was I had to to use sheetmetal self tapping screws to mount the actuator part. My 99 did not have any holes that matched up with the braket that came with the kit.

Would you be able to scan the instructions and send them to me? I'd like to see what I'm getting into before I order a kit.

TIA

searchingforXJ said:
Would you be able to scan the instructions and send them to me? I'd like to see what I'm getting into before I order a kit.

TIA

I installed the kit on my '99 a while back.

You can email Jeepsareus and they will send you a set of directions....

Back