• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control failure

casm

NAXJA Forum User
For reasons I can't quite figure out, the cruise control on my 2000 Limited stopped working this morning. It was working fine until I had to brake for a freeway interchange, but appeared to switch itself off ('Cruise' light out) while I was slowing. Hitting the On/Off button didn't reengage it; nor did the Set or Resume buttons, so it's probably not just a burned-out bulb on the indicator light. The cruise control light should remain switched on but not regulating speed when the brakes are in use, so I'm doubting it's a problem with the brake light switch.

Everything electrical appears to be working as best I can tell - I note that the cruise circuit isn't listed in the fuse diagram in this thread, though I haven't checked in the PDC yet. I also don't recall hearing any sucking air noises that might point to this being a vacuum line issue, but am not ruling it out at this point.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I'd like to sort this out if at all possible since it's my substitute for self-restraint as regards speeding tickets.

There is a fuse for the CC...you just gotta find it. In my 89 XJ, it's not part of the fuse panel, but actually a stand-alone in-line fuse. Not sure if that's because it's an aftermarket setup or not......but PO swears that CC was factory

Looks like this may be the start of an intermittent issue. Went downstairs to head out to lunch, hit the cruise control switch, and it's working fine; no problems after parking at the restaurant, either. I'll pull the switch this weekend and give it a cleaning to be on the safe side, but otherwise it appears to have cleared itself. Bizarre.

Gotta love intermittent problems. You can NEVER replicate them at home when you have all your tools handy and the vehicle is on jacks. They only happen when it's 7:30am and you're halfway to work on a busy freeway.
:smsoap:

casm said:
For reasons I can't quite figure out, the cruise control on my 2000 Limited stopped working this morning. It was working fine until I had to brake for a freeway interchange, but appeared to switch itself off ('Cruise' light out) while I was slowing. Hitting the On/Off button didn't reengage it; nor did the Set or Resume buttons, so it's probably not just a burned-out bulb on the indicator light. The cruise control light should remain switched on but not regulating speed when the brakes are in use, so I'm doubting it's a problem with the brake light switch.

Everything electrical appears to be working as best I can tell - I note that the cruise circuit isn't listed in the fuse diagram in this thread, though I haven't checked in the PDC yet. I also don't recall hearing any sucking air noises that might point to this being a vacuum line issue, but am not ruling it out at this point.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I'd like to sort this out if at all possible since it's my substitute for self-restraint as regards speeding tickets.

Vacuum leak - check the lines that run under your battery to the bumper, the acid likes to eat them. Also check to see if the vacuum canister (alien blob inside the bumper, pass side) is cracked.

joe

darjevon said:
Vacuum leak - check the lines that run under your battery to the bumper, the acid likes to eat them.

Nope - at least not in this case. Been running an Optima since I bought the XJ two-and-a-half years ago.

Also check to see if the vacuum canister (alien blob inside the bumper, pass side) is cracked.

Strangely enough, I'd been looking at it last weekend while checking some stuff I hadn't gone over in a while. It's clean.

sjx40250 said:
Are your controls on steering wheel?

Yes. All '97-up XJs used wheel-mounted controls for the cruise control system.

In any event, it seems to be working again. I'll wait for it to fail again before looking into it any further.

Last edited:
I'm blaming it on smoke, caused by the massive 300,000 acre fire :flame: in Central Utah, which started Friday .......which is also when my CC stopped working and my airbag light first flashed intermittently.

Which leads to a series of thought provoking questions.......

Could these issues somehow be a result of global warming?

If I purchase carbon offsets, will my cruise control work intermittently?

If I actually reduce my carbon footprint, will my cruise control start working again and will the AIRBAG light stop flickernig?

Does Al Gore's hologram image leave carbon footprints when it walks?

If a hologram image of Al Gore appears in the passenger seat next to me, will this increase or decrease my carbon footprint, and will he be able to come up with a solution for my Jeep's issues, just like he has all the answers regarding our changing climate?

This problem is most certainly caused by Global Warming....
All the pollutants that Jeeps have spewwed out while on the trails in Moab have caused this.
You need to have Al Gore come visit your Jeep to hollistically heal the problem.
Al Gore CAN DO IT !!!

4A in-line fuse(within the wiring, not in the panel), under dash, far left drivers side. It's up in there so you'll have to stand on your head, but it's there.

Whats this cruise control you speak of? :confused::laugh3:

Seems like i've read somewhere else before about intermittent cruise control failure when the vehicle speed sensor began to go south, like Jim mentioned....

ParadiseXJ said:
4A in-line fuse(within the wiring, not in the panel), under dash, far left drivers side. It's up in there so you'll have to stand on your head, but it's there.

Not sure how this mystery fuse that you speak of would cause an intermittent cruise control malfunction, as well as make the Airbag light turn on and off at will...........please elaborate.

umm i dont know if this is the case but the older jeeps such as mine (87) if the brake lights arent right as in the cc module checks resistance value of the brake lights) and if it isnt right the criuse does not work....viola! i know this because my cruise would work with led bulbs installed and im sure the original poster of this really appreciates all the smartassed useless answers if you have nothing useful to say kindly shut the hell up

There is no fuse for the cruse in the 97+. It's all intergrated into the ECM by the CC Data Buss.

Things I would check is the switches. They operate on resistance values so if one is out of spec there will be problems. (Unfortunately I don't have access to my FSM at the moment, or I could give you those values.) Also it could be the clock spring devloping an internal problem. The VSS ahould light the MIL if it's acting up, and your speedo would be acting funny too. Something else (though I may be wrong on this) is the transmision input speed sensor could be causing it, but then again it should light the MIL if it's acting up.

IF the VSS speed control switches are suspected to be the problem... you can test them for resistance as previously posted...

Speed Control Switch Continuity Testing:

1. Disconnect negative batter cable. Wait 2 minutes for airbag system capacitor to discharge.
2. Remove the two speed control switch modules from the steering wheel.
3. Check continuity of each individual speed control switch module. If OK reinstall switch. If not OK, replace switch module assembly.

Resistance Table

Switch Position / Resistance between pins 1 & 2
ON / 909 ohms +/- 9 ohms
SET / 6650 ohms +/- 66 ohms
RESUME/ACCEL / 15,400 ohms +/- 154 ohms
CANCEL / 0 ohms (close circuit)
COAST / 2940 ohms +/- 29 ohms

The Stop Lamp Switch, Vacuum Reservoir, Speed Control Servo, Vehicle Speed Sensor can also affect Cruise Control operation.

Thanks for following up with some perfectly useful information Charles........apparently the folks in Taterho have thin skin. :dunno:

Last edited:
CharlesS said:
IF the VSS speed control switches are suspected to be the problem... you can test them for resistance as previously posted...

Speed Control Switch Continuity Testing:

1. Disconnect negative batter cable. Wait 2 minutes for airbag system capacitor to discharge.
2. Remove the two speed control switch modules from the steering wheel.
3. Check continuity of each individual speed control switch module. If OK reinstall switch. If not OK, replace switch module assembly.

Resistance Table

Switch Position / Resistance between pins 1 & 2
ON / 909 ohms +/- 9 ohms
SET / 6650 ohms +/- 66 ohms
RESUME/ACCEL / 15,400 ohms +/- 154 ohms
CANCEL / 0 ohms (close circuit)
COAST / 2940 ohms +/- 29 ohms

The Stop Lamp Switch, Vacuum Reservoir, Speed Control Servo, Vehicle Speed Sensor can also affect Cruise Control operation.
Are those Figures for a 2000? Because the 00 &01's used different values than the earlier models.

The one thing your cruise control and aribag system have in common is the clockspring. This is the coil that contains all the electrical conductors from the steering wheel to the column. These would be the cruise control switches and the wires to fire the drivers' side airbag. The connection to the airbag is tested everytime the key is turned on. If the airbag connection is found to be open, the airbag light does not go off.

The clockspring is usually damaged (per the FSM) when the steering box is disconnected from the steering column and the wheel is rotated past the normal limits of travel. This causes obvious physical damage to the clockspring. It is atypical for the clockspring to fail in an intermittant fashon. I suppose the plug at either end of the clockspring could be loose, causing an intermittant connection.

The clockspring is an OEM only part. You don't need to buy it at the stealership. I got one on ebay for about $50.

Back