• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock questions...need help

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
So I need to order a set of shocks. I have a 2.5 inch lift, and am looking at the rancho rs5000's on JCWHITNEY. I go to order, and they have 3" lift shocks listed, but only for the front. Should I just buy 4 of these??? are the front and rear shocks the exact same thing?

shocks.JPG

Also, wondering if anyone has experience with the RSX shocks. are they worth the xtra couple bucks each. they are the self adjusting ones. I do about 80/20 on road, offroad, but the back roads to my house are probably more offroad than some people here ever see.

So should I buy 4, even if only FRONT is listed??? hopefully someone knows.

thanks

they are not the same, they mountings are different. you can get the fronts and rears from napa for the same price, or go to 4wheelparts.com and get a set of procomp monotubes. they work well, i have the resevoir versions and they've held up to some serious abuse (like high speed desert runs) where as the ranchos i had before crapped out after 2 trips out there. the one thing i really didnt like about the ranchos is when they went out they had no resistance compressing, but it was almost inpossible to extend them.

hope this helps, if you dont do alot of wheeling at high speed the ranchos will be fine for ya. if you do, do yourself a favor and get a better shock

was on the phone with JCwhitney, they said that they cant get the 3" lift shocks, but that I could use the regular no lift rear shocks and that they would work with a lift up to 3 inches.

does this sound right??

I just want to find a pair of half decent shocks for a 93 XJ with 2.5 inches of lift.

ThE HiV said:
was on the phone with JCwhitney, they said that they cant get the 3" lift shocks, but that I could use the regular no lift rear shocks and that they would work with a lift up to 3 inches.

does this sound right??

I just want to find a pair of half decent shocks for a 93 XJ with 2.5 inches of lift.
I'm sure I've got a complete set of old/used RS9000's in my garage (about an hour away from me right now, but I'll be there this weekend) that were spec'd out for a 3 inch lift. I used them stock, and at 3 inches. They are a little short for 3 inches, but may work with your 2.5 inches....and I'll bet I can make you a better deal the Whitney's.....They are used, and not new, but worked when they came off of my truck. I actually have a few mixed sets (front/rear) the older 5 position are the ones off of my truck, and I have a couple newer (in worse shape) 9 position shocks that I bought from a guy in the Northeast and never mounted. I wound up going with really long shocks and bumps stops!
I believe these are the part numbers....
Rancho 9000
0" lift
Front 9128
rear 9129
3" lift
Front 9239
Rear 9129
and this is the rear travel....
Extended 23.5"
Compressed 16.5"
Let me know if you are interested, I can pick them up this weekend...and I'd like to get them out of my garage........:cool:

you get what you pay for.

Back