• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expensive Process of Elimination

hmmhoyhoy

NAXJA Forum User
So I have replaced ball joints upper and lower, had an allignment and replaced the steering stabilizer. I didnt have death wobble for the last 2 weeks but it came back yesterday, the guy at the shop told me a month ago that my track bar and tie rod were goin out and only had like 6 months life left in them, does this sound like the culprite? Should I change that out now?

did you check them yourself? Is it loose? try to tighten the track bar, check the bolts on it.. if your tie rods are bad that should get fixed before it breaks

This really shouldn't be an "expensive process of elimination". It should be a process of properly diagnosing what parts are worn on the front of your vehicle. T/B, tie rods, ball joints, etc. can all cause these problems. The worst part is if you need tie rods, you'll have to have this realigned again. Check out the front end or have someone check it, and replace all thats worn at once. Doing a little at a time is frusturating and time consuming. just my two cents...

My only case of "death wobble" was solved with new trackbar bushings. Death wobble is your friend. It got me my XJ for cheap and it warns you to get out from behind the steering wheel and under your heep so you can discover how and why everything works. Thats how it worked for me. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

hmmhoyhoy said:
the guy at the shop told me a month ago that my track bar and tie rod were goin out and only had like 6 months life left in them, does this sound like the culprite? Should I change that out now?

Yes, the Track Bar is the #1 culprit of DW.
Also, you said you replaced the ball joints, but how about the wheel bearings? If they are loose they can cause it as well. It may even be a combination of things, but I'd start with the TB.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Yes, the Track Bar is the #1 culprit of DW.
Also, you said you replaced the ball joints, but how about the wheel bearings? If they are loose they can cause it as well. It may even be a combination of things, but I'd start with the TB.

The Wheel Bearing seem to be just fine. I will look into the track bar. Thanks guys

hmmhoyhoy said:
The Wheel Bearing seem to be just fine. I will look into the track bar. Thanks guys

Check back in and let us know what you found out while under your Jeep. Trackbar or LCA bushings but those and what you have already changed are the usual suspects in "death wobble".

Back