• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S.A gear

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm on the market for a timing set amd came across this:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=SGE&MfrPartNumber=73079&PartType=166&PTSet=A

Not a bad price at all but I'm worried about its durability.Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

second on the list is cloyes for about the same price but the warranty is only 3 months....

I noticed something funny while shopping around.Autozone has hi-tech brand timing set for $60.00 2 year warranty,while advance has the exact same one with matching part number for the same price warranty 3 months???What gives?
Same thing with napa(p#103085) they have cloyes timing set for $66.00 with a lifetime warranty,auto zone has cloyes(c-3085) for $36.00 3 month warranty.
I always assumed that price and warranty length was indicative of quality but I guess I was wrong!

Looked at the thread and would go with the longer warranty S.A. but to address your question. Warranty is just a way to get you to spend money to insure that they will replace something if it fails within the time frame of said warranty. I did not know that until a guy I used to know who was an attorney explained it to me one night, about 40 years ago, over dinner and drinks. If you buy at a cheaper price and it fails they are under no obligation to replace it but if you bought the warranty then you have purchased the insurance policy and they are going to have to replace it.
That is what transpires at the cash register in any Harbor Freight store when you buy a tool. If it has moving parts they will attempt to sell you the warrenty. If you buy it they are forced to replace the defective tool when it expires. Simple business practice. That is why everyone bad mouths HF but will praise Craftsman or Snap-On, warranty.

Last edited:
Back