• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To disconnect or not to disconnect

sdigs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Newbie here with a question. I finaly get to play with the wifes 94 XJ. I am looking at the RE 3.5" super ride and super flex lift kits with 31.5 x 10 tires. I would like to keep it as streetable as possible as it is becoming my daily driver. I am thinking I want to go with the super ride as I don't "plan" on doing any real extreme crawling. My objective is to take the kids fishing at remote lakes and check out some of the old mines around northern NM and southern CO. I am thinking that the most extreme roads I might get on are places like black bear and imogene pass. Can anyone tell me if i really need to be able to disconnect for roads like that. I haven't been on either road since i was a a kid 30 years ago.

The SR kit also has different control arm bushings. I think they quieter on road.

You can always disconnect with a wrench. On flat ground it should only take a few minutes. Use tie wire to hold things up out of the way while wheeling. If you notice a difference you can always add disconnects to the SR kit later. If you are not going to disconnect very often, you can probably find some cheap disconnects to add.

bl87xj said:
The SR kit also has different control arm bushings. I think they quieter on road.

You can always disconnect with a wrench. On flat ground it should only take a few minutes. Use tie wire to hold things up out of the way while wheeling. If you notice a difference you can always add disconnects to the SR kit later. If you are not going to disconnect very often, you can probably find some cheap disconnects to add.

I disconnect with a wrench also, it only takes a few minuets. I disconnect while the kids air me down.

Not only do you NOT need to disconnect for roads such as Imogene, you don't need a lift either :)

I would put the disconnects as a nice to have item (for roads such as the ones you mentioned). they go up for sale from time to time in the classified section, so I'd just periodically check there.

bl87xj said:
........You can always disconnect with a wrench. On flat ground it should only take a few minutes...........
"On flat ground" or level ground is the key here and please don't ask me how I know.

The question would be why *NOT* have the ability to disconnect. It only takes one rut to get stuck, and disconnecting makes a GIGANTIC difference in travel and articulation.

Idiot Wind said:
Not only do you NOT need to disconnect for roads such as Imogene, you don't need a lift either :)

I would put the disconnects as a nice to have item (for roads such as the ones you mentioned). they go up for sale from time to time in the classified section, so I'd just periodically check there.

I kinda figured that I don't really need a lift for most of what i want to do, but the wife finaly gave me permission (yes I am that whipped) to play with the jeep and spend some money. Besides, they look so much better with some lift and bigger tires. And IMHO it would look silly putting a roof rack with a hi lift, ax, shovel and lights on a stock XJ.

If you don't really need a lot of lift and want a great onroad ride you could always get the 2" OME lift from JO.com. Toss some 30's on there and you are set. Might save you the need of a SYE.

Back