• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Torque Converter and shifting questions............

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
The rig = 89 XJ, 4.0L, AW4 auto, NP242, etc....218K on the clock
*only tranny mod is to wire a LED to light when TC is engaged*

The problem(s) = Minor problem. When I first bought the Jeep, once it wouldn't let me put it in Park. I moved the shifter back and forth a few times, rocked the Jeep back and forth a few feet, and it finally let me *slam* it into Park. Now, it's happened to me a few more times. I figured out that if I reverse ~10 feet, then go forward 5, slip it into the 1-2 position, go 5 more feet, I can finally put it into Park. Linkage adjustment issue??

Major problem = On the way to work this AM, I hit a rough patch on the freeway. Made the ass end bounce a bit, just like usual.....but this time the TC unlocked when I hit that rough patch. I shifted back down to the 3 position, and the TC locked up. Shifted back into D, and it stayed locked until I hit another bump. I then drove the remaining 25 miles to work in 4th gear, no TC. Any idea what's causing this one??

Never had quite the problem you describe, but have had TC unlock and it seemed like it would downshift on level flat road at 45-55 MPH and it turned out to be a faulty TPS. I had it to the tranny shop and they said wiring is messed up and wanted $500 just to trace the problem down. I got on here(NAXJA forums) and was told to change the TPS and to calibrate it. Problem solved. That was over a year ago and NO recurance.
Hope that helps.

I think I've got the lock/unlock issue figured out....I did the "wiggle test" on some wiring, and it ran just fine on lunch. Seems that I can trace that one down to the electrical gremlins in my Jeep....But i'm curious to know about the other issue i've got

Joe you might check, couldn't find the answer in my FSM but the brake switch which allows you to take the tranny out of Park only with the pedal depressed is (my guess) your culprit on the "minor" problem you described.

mikeforte said:
Up ther if it ain't Basketball it is irrevelant anyway.....right.

I actually came from a football town.....and was a swimmer thru my high school/college years.....

Mikeforte: It's not that I can't get the tranny out of Park.....sometimes I can't get it to go *into* Park. I've also noticed that when it won't go into Park, I can't get it into 1-2 either....

RaccoonJoe said:
I actually came from a football town.....and was a swimmer thru my high school/college years.....

Mikeforte: It's not that I can't get the tranny out of Park.....sometimes I can't get it to go *into* Park. I've also noticed that when it won't go into Park, I can't get it into 1-2 either....

Only thing I can think of then is linkage problems. I must have mis-read your post earlier. Sorry about the football thing....maybe you'll grow out of it.LOL

Remove your cover on top of consol, look to see if there is crap in there.. i found a small shocket in mine, there was a guy that said he found change in his...

I had a similar problem, not as bad, but as I recall it was related to the ignition lock/key linkage to the shifter and the NSS. In my case it was either the new igntion lock and ignition switch or the new NSS that solved the problem. They all went out about the same time on mine.Hasta

Back