• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need new transfer case or rebuild

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 89 cherokee w/4.0 and aw4. Recently the transfer case has been making a rotational noise kinda like the sound a brakes make after the pad is gone and the caliper starts digging into the rotor. So I quit making it my daily driver and just used it to go to the grocery store and stuff like that. well the other day I was going down the road and it started to jerk just very slightly. I think the chain is catching on something. So I just parked it and im not going to drive it anymore. I have three questions. The first is can I rebuild this or would it be better to just find a working replacement. The second question is can I open up the rear half of the transfer case and just remove the chain and put it back together and drive it as a 2wd. The last question is I either need a rebuild kit pretty cheap or another unit pretty cheap and I don't know where I can get one. All of my local junk yards want 250 dollars for one and there is no garantee that it will work. That is rediculous when I can buy a rebuild kit for $130ish. Thanks in advance.

ok b4 u get carried away look at ur front driveshaft and make sure the cv joint isnt broke and if it looks iffy try taking it out and see what it does then try to elimiate the easy stuff first

fspell220 said:
Does anyone know if I can just remove the chain and make it eccentially a 2wd jeep? I've got to get this thing back on the road.

I don't forsee any real problem with doing this other than you'll be doing extra work pulling the case apart twice instead of once. Just curious, is this a 231 or 242?

sounds like the chain has slacked and is rubbing on the case itself, i've seen pics on here of cases being worn through by the chain.

Back