• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting from drive to "3" on hills

matt vanjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching this ailment, but have yet to find a result. I have found on lots of our camping trips through hills, with lots of gear, i started to downshift to the "tow" gear or 3 on the selector, and it made the hill climbs a lot more pleasant. Lately I've noticed at the times i need to downshift the most, the selector won't let me shift, even the button is rock hard and won't budge. THen on the highway if i tried it, it would work no problem. Any idea if this is a heat problem, or linkage? I've kept up on all the fluids for the aw4, and can't quite figure it out. it's a 97 sport, 4.0L selectrac aw4 with a factory tranny cooler. Anyone else come across this?

I think it has to do with the linkage release. I'm sure you have noticed that you can't shift the lever out of park without applying the brake.

So next time your tranny pulls this bs apply a little brake and see if it will let you shift. Then you know for sure something is out of adjustment.

I've had a similar problem with my 89 AW4. However, mine won't let me shift into P at times. I have to rock back and forth (~10 feet), reverse and see if it will let me, then try the 1-2 position. If not, drive forward, try 1-2, then try P. This usually works, if I do it a few times......

Back