• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles, best combo, yea its opinion so what!

99xjstl

NAXJA Forum User
Alright 99 xj with 4.5" RE superflex everything else stock. I have 33 tsl radials that i love im going to add probably 3" more cause i graduate soon and yea ill be working so im parking her till she gets built. I have a ford 9" but i really dont feel like shortening it and its a 1 ton so i dont want to run a 1 ton, fyi if anyone lives in indy ill sell the 9" or give it away if you want to come get it. Anywho i was thinking 44's front and rear im staying with 33's i want the most articulation as possible maybe go to 35's if theres to much gap or im slaming axles on rocks. So whos got there 2 cents on this one, whats the easiest to find and bolts up with no or little modification. O yea my 231 blew up so t case??? stay with 231 and add sye or go with an aftermarket?

Damn i dont want to get into cutting and shortening is there anything will bolt right up to the front just weld my brackets onto it or what? And would an 8.8 work better for the rear or is that alot of modification too?

44's front and rear. get a front 44 from a rubicon, you can order the housing and it comes with the locker and 4.10 gears in it for about 1500. and you can find a rear 44 out of a cherokee for about 500

You don't have to go to a 44 front. You can run 30 spline 44 shafts and u-joints in a dana 30 you just have to have the shafts cut down and resplined. Arb now has a locker that will fit the 30 spline 44 shafts in the dana 30. If you don't want to peice it all together yourself check out www.tricountygear.com 's 30/30 kit. They even offer chromoly warn shafts as an option. Once you do all of that the only thing weaker than the dana 44 is the slightly smaller ring and pinion.

Yea brianho13 has a 44 ready to bolt in that i might pick up in awhile, im probably gunna stay d30 front with shafts and joints. I want to go 4.10 all the way around cuz i have to use 4L to climb anything with the 3.07 i have now it sucks, and so does my mpg like 11 highyway with 33's and stock gears 4.10's should help that too hopefully

I bought a Rubi 44 housing from the dodge house to build up with 5.13, alloy shafts, and a lockright. The housing lists for 798, but since I get a discount only cost me 521.

To save some $$$ why not a 8.25 in the rear. Pretty strong depends on what ur tryin to do though. I personally have the 9'' and wouldnt trade it for anything, LP angle is the only catch. A yoke guard and 36's help a lot though. Rubi d44 front might be overkill cost/use wise. Super 35 shud do u fine in the front if left open.

Last edited:
99xjstl said:
I have a ford 9" but i really dont feel like shortening it and its a 1 ton so i dont want to run a 1 ton, fyi if anyone lives in indy ill sell the 9" or give it away if you want to come get it.

A Ford 9" is a half-ton axle.

devilinside13 said:
44's front and rear. get a front 44 from a rubicon, you can order the housing and it comes with the locker and 4.10 gears in it for about 1500. and you can find a rear 44 out of a cherokee for about 500
dont buy a rubicon 44

99xjstl said:
Alright 99 xj with 4.5" RE superflex everything else stock. I have 33 tsl radials that i love im going to add probably 3" more cause i graduate soon and yea ill be working so im parking her till she gets built. Anywho i was thinking 44's front and rear im staying with 33's i want the most articulation as possible maybe go to 35's if theres to much gap or im slaming axles on rocks. So whos got there 2 cents on this one?

umm how about you don't need 7-8" to run 33" meats.

Don't dump money into the d-30 if you are gonna lock it and run 35's. I got warn shafts, 760x's and a truetrac only to have the f-ing ring gear break. Spend your money right the first time, let me be the lesson learner for you.

I am on 33's

Back