• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head/Intake locating nubs

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully at least some of you will figure out what I'm talking about...

On a 4.0l head, there's two stubby/nub things which are used as locating dowels for the intake manifold. Likewise, on the intake there is two holes for them to go into...

So, say a guy grinds them off. Or cuts the holes out of the intake... Will the intake manifold still be able to be bolted up and not work itself loose or anything else bad?

(I've run into a problem with an aftermarket intake ment for a AMC 258. Trying to put it on a 4.0 head... Apparently the port design isn't shared between a 4.0 and 4.2. Too bad I didn't know that before now. If I raise the intake slightly it will solve this problem. But I'd have to cut the nubs or the intake...)

I don't see it causing too much of a problem. IMO this sounds like it would be a downgrade, the 258 had tiny ports.

Sure of that? They're the same size as the stock 4oh ones, other than they're slightly lower and have no indent for the injectors.

This is an aftermarket dual pane manifold. Gonna run some BBQ gas on this thing.

But if they're only there to align it, and not to hold it in place, then I'll buck them off and make this thing work.

It's ment for a 258 out of a YJ. It was the closest thing I could get to what the 4.0 would be.

It fits other than the port height is wrong. If I raised it 3/8"~ it will be cherry.

To answer your question, They are there for gasket and manifold location. They might pull out. Use PB Blaster and try to turn them out first. Mine almost fell out.

If they're only to locate it, WTH, I can do that myself. I'll take them out and make this thing work then.

Hopefully. Fingers crossed. Almost nothing else went right today so maybe this will.

Well, perhaps the correct terms is alignment not locate. It is critical for good alignment of the mating ports. The bolts are not good enough.

Have fun!

Back