• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac compressor bypass pulley for 98?

96XJay

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can get a compressor bypass pulley for a 98? I've found them for 91-93 and also for 98 Grand Cherokees but I can't seem to nail down one for a 98 Cherokee.

I tried searching but didn't come up with anything definative.

Thanks

Yes, somebody even posted the part numbers here a month or two ago.

I read that post. Nothing too definative in it. One guy even stated that the part number listed did not in fact fit the application and that it would need severe modification to work.

Does your AC compressor mounting bracket look anything like this (with the fan pulley still attached on yours) off of a 96?

719251676_8a502f1e1f.jpg

The Doorman 34171 (for 91-95 XJs) looks like it bolts where the green lines are above. Even if the holes didn't line up on yours you could make a plate that would bolt to your 98 bracket and then position and drill mounting holes for the bypass pulley bracket. Of course if your bracket is completely different then I don't know what to say. Post a picture of it.

34171.jpg

It looks like that. The mounting holes are 5" from passenger side to driverside on mine and from front to back on the drivers side of the bracket the bolt holes are 3 5/8" apart. Can you check out the dimensions on yours for me?

Thanks man.

The passenger side on mine front to back was like 3 3/8"

and the drivers side (where the bypass bracket would bolt up) was 3 5/8"

So.. the 4 bolt holes aren't evenly spaced on my 98'.

Hopefully someone will chime in with an older one like you said and post up some measurements.

i just measured my 91 yj's ac holding bracket (it did not come with ac but came with the bracket) and recieved an even 5 inches across the front. 3 3/8 on the passenger side front to back and 3 5/8 on the drivers side front to back. but keep in mind this was a yj measurement not an xj measurement. mike

Thanks Mike. I'm still hoping someone chimes in with an older XJ measurement but that makes me feel a little better.

By the way anyone can measure this... you don't have to pull the compressor. You just measure the center of the bolt heads on top of the compressor.

Okay...

Is your 91 Wrangler a 4.0?

If it is... then the 91 Wrangler and 93 Cherokee use the same 34171 part number (as per the Autozone website).

So... if a 91 4.0 wrangler has the same measurments as my 98... then hypothetically the 34171 part number should fit my 98.

I'd still like to hear what the exact measurements are on a 93 or so XJ but... I've got enough info to head up to Autozone and order the 34171 and give it a shot. Thanks.

no it is a 2.5l but parts america (which sells for advanced auto parts) site shows the accessories are the same on the 2.5 and the 4.0. here is the link. just click on what vehicles this part fits, and then click on 91-95 wrangler the 4.o and 2.5 are listed as fitting. mike

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=DOR&MfrPartNumber=34171

i find it quite common that some parts will also fit alot more years then are listed. i think sometimes the aftermarket is lazy? mike

Last edited:
Back